X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont reckon it will taper as bad but will still drop off. I'd imagine there'd be a hell of alot of backpressure forcing the wastegate flapper open at higher revs

Comment

The tapering is a function of the turbo itsef, as the boost gets higher they will continue to taper. I don't beleive you will ever get the stock turbo to hold boost above 14 - 15 psi from 6000 rpm onwards. BUt before then, the wastegate upgrade will enable a flatter and more consistant boost curve to be found, with less need for the boost solenoid to have to run such large values. Smaller values for adjustment means more fine control and smoohter curves. As well it helps to reduce over boosting and will help with lower throttle loads as we can in essence, simplify the boost control maps on the reflashing by not having to control it as aggressivly on various throttle loads.

I've had a lot of practice doing this with the EVO X / RA Lancers which use the exact same boost system as the colts. Very effective way and especially as the larger bol ton turbo's start to come, its gets very easy to get very flat and smooth boost curves.

Comment

I've got a question though Dave,

with a higher spring pressure do you think it will in essence effect both fuel economy and minor tractability and driving? Now instead of the turbo being able to vent gasses at 7 psi its releasing at 14 psi thus in a part throttle full boost style of situation theres more of a chance for it to spin a tyre aswell as cruising light throttle using more fuel?

Not that the tyre spinning is a bad thing though. But fuel economy wise i've noted higher consumption since changing the external gate spring from 7 to 15 psi in my car in the cruising situation. A tf035 obviously spools alot easier. Do you think it would be a noticeable issue?

Comment

I don't beleive it will because you need to remember, boost is created as a combination of throttle position / load and rpm's. So at light throttle at high rpm, the turbo wastegate actuator is going to remain closed for maximun pressure. Its no different to what you have now. IN reality you never get part throttle / max boost on the cars as the throttle body is limiting the volume of gases through into the intake manifold, which is what drives the turbo. Its hard for people to understand that the turbo is not drive by Boost pressure. That is merely a function of how much air is being jammed into the intake manifold

The turbo is driven by air volume, so example, at 3000 rpm 50% throttle (Round numbers just for example) you may be getting 100 cfm of air. But at 3000 rpm 100% throttle you could be getting 150 cfm of air. The turbo load dramatically changes with air volume.

Thats why when I say to people, your right foot controls the boost and why you don't need to have two sstage boost controllers as a high / lo boost that is why. You can tune a car to 20 psi, but reality is unless you are holding it at 100% throttle over say 4000 rpm its not going to get to that boost level.

Traction will suffer slightly in the lower gears mostly becase as you say, the baseline boost levels are no increased but in reality, we are as part of the tuning already trying to increase boost over factory levels in all gears, which is why I try to run lower boost values in 1st and 2nd gear to aid in traction.

I don't beleive fuel economy will suffer, but that is mostly to do with your driving style anyway. I guess like everything, time will tell.

Also I didn't add it in the earlier post, but for example the tapering issue is more evident as the turbo reaches the end of its efficiency level. My hope is once we release the 14T turbo upgrade, we will be able to run a 17 - 18 psi flat boost curve without tapering, becasue the turbo has much greater efficiency at the higher rpm levels. we see this a lot with the EVOX Versus Ralliart lancer which is a single scroll TD04 turbo versus the TD05 Twin scroll on the evo x. The EVO X turbo holds a nice 24 psi flat torque curve, where the RA Lancer can only go to around 21 psi at high rpm.

Comment

nah thats cool pretty much whatt i was thinking but it brought me back to the good old days of accelerating in 5th down the freeway and getting limp home. the boost had risen over 7 psi a lower throttle position. it'd be a once in a while occasion and makes me think its my driving style instead.

How much bigger is the 14T compared to the TD04L for example? were starting to get boost taper now in the upper ranges of rpm. Considering the tf035 is maxed out at 160kw (as per 3 cars so far). What will it support? might be a good alternative to get the spool up if it can flow good for +180kw

Comment

I was going to edit what I wrote because it was a case of my head thinking one thing, but my hands typing another. Then the site crashed so couldn't get back online to edit it.

The 14T is damn close to a TD04 inlet wheel, we reckon its going to be worth around 30 - 40hp max over the stock TF035 10T wheel. My beleif is around a 200 - 300rpm increase in lag, but really improve the 5500 rpm + range and allow boot to around 17 / 18 psi. Perfect size for the majority of colt owners wanting a bolt on turbo that looks stock.

Comment

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but you are planning on just upgrading the Compressor wheel? If thats the case, if anything it will have the same taper, if not worse due to a higher exhaust flow at a lower point in the rev range. Without at least putting a larger turbine wheel in, the restriction is still going to be huge on the exhaust side.

Comment

This first upgrade will be the compressor wheel correct. We are working on another turbo package right now which will be a combined 14T compressor with a larger exhaust wheel as well. Many things in the works at this moment. There may or may not be more taper that is what we are going to find out when we test it on a vehicle.

Comment

The forge stuff arrived today, will unpack tomorrow.

I am finishing up the pricing taking in to account custom charges etc and will update the website on this current batch of goods.

Pretty excited about it as there is going to be some nice gear there.

Comment

I think we are all excited dave hahaha I have my index finger carefully poised over the the left click button of my mouse, ready to snap up one of those actuators!!

Comment

Prices are updated on the website for the prorducts imported. Goods news is that most of them the price has dropped over our origonal pricing, except for I beleive the breatehr hoses which are slightly more expensive. But we will not accept orders for forge components. I will place another order as soon as we start getting a little low on these parts. The heat shield looks fantastic I must say.

Comment

We have just finalised our order with Forge Motorsports today for the next shipment which is due to arrive in Perth in approx 1 weeks time.

Sorry for the delay for those waiting but they held up the order to finish some more heat shields for us.

Anyone awaiting a Forge Motorsport unit should receive notification once they arrive and are ready to ship out soon.

Comment

All new stocks of Forge Motorsport units have arrived as well as some new heavier duty springs for the waste gates to help control higher boost levels. Also now stocking there split blow off valves.

Comment

New stocks of Forge Motorsport waste gate actuators and the 34mm Split Blow off valves have just arrived for those that have been waiting on these.

Comment

Working...
                              X