• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA muppets - time to go racing.

http://ozgymkhana.com.au

Next year, 5 rounds at Tailum Bend.
    Details to follow.

When I say muppets, it includes me...

Anyways one of the dudes at work has been convincing me to have bit of run with the Oz gymkhana club. Think Ken Block stylie. He reckons it no harder on the car than a fang through the (Adelaide) hills and great fun.

Need a CAMS licence ($50), closed leather shoes, approved helmet, visor, long sleeves/pants, battery triangle and an extinguisher in the cabin. Entry fee is around $125 per round with 5 scheduled next year. Most rounds are held out at Tailum Bend Motorsport park which is the old Mitsubishi proving ground.

He drives a 205 pug and shames a LOT of cars. Evos, wrx, sti's, HSV, 911s etc have all been beaten with ease. All he's done to the pug is some coilys and some pads.
    Rekon I'll be out there next year - who's up for it???
    Final state round is on this weekend (7th) with over 70 entries so far, last event he came 6 or 7 from memory.
    http://ozgymkhana.com.au/

Comment

is it restricted to SA residents only ody? Five events a year sounds doable, minimum commitment at least five weekends in Adelaide?, and entry price is fair for what looks to be a professionally run event. CAMS license is cheap, aren't they normally $150!

I really do suggest rcolters check it out at least once to see if it tickles your fancy. I know I prefer these short courses to track days (until I get more power mods)

Comment

AFAIK they're open to anyone as long as you comply with the Supplementry Regulations for the events.
        I haven't had a CAMS licence for just under 20 years so I'm not up with the prices. Although since all this insurance price rise bullshit it does surprise me a bit about how cheap the licence is.
        Even my bike racing licence was $75 back in the early 90's...

Comment

i'm keen, i was planing to track my car in the new year.
          i need some new tyres and some more power
          when is the first one?

Comment

Originally posted by evoz10 View Post
            i'm keen, i was planing to track my car in the new year.
            i need some new tyres and some more power
            when is the first one?
            From the first page on their website, 2013 calendar
            2013 Dates

17th February 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 1

4th – 5th May 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 2

7th July 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 3

22nd September 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 4

7th – 8th December 2013 – National Championship) Oz Gymkhana Rnd 5

It'll be nice to join in with some fellow rcolters from Melb in this too. Oops, Tailem Bend isn't in Adelaide and is actually a bit closer to Melbourne, BONUS!
            Last edited by kalt; 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kalt View Post
              From the first page on their website, 2013 calendar
              2013 Dates

17th February 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 1

4th – 5th May 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 2

7th July 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 3

22nd September 2013 – Oz Gymkhana – State Championship Rnd 4

7th – 8th December 2013 – National Championship) Oz Gymkhana Rnd 5

It'll be nice to join in with some fellow rcolters from Melb in this too. Oops, Tailem Bend isn't in Adelaide and is actually a bit closer to Melbourne, BONUS!
              talem bend is not far from my house

does anyone know how your insurance works if you go onto the track? isn't it void? is there ways around it?

Comment

It's pretty much void I think - depends on ur insurance coy and what type of event yr doing.
                Shannons do allow some Motorsport but you need o check with them.
                The CAMS site has a link to the OAMPS website who also insurance for motorsport.

In this type of racing u race against the clock, there are no other cars on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by odysseyesm View Post
                  It's pretty much void I think - depends on ur insurance coy and what type of event yr doing.
                  Shannons do allow some Motorsport but you need o check with them.
                  The CAMS site has a link to the OAMPS website who also insurance for motorsport.

In this type of racing u race against the clock, there are no other cars on the track.
                  oh alright so your insurance will be void?

Comment

just dont roll it.

Comment

Hendo found out the hard way at Mallala regarding insurance and a roll-over, it's just a risk you take. Bottom line is to have fun and not push too hard if you don't have the confidence.

I'd love to do it in the Ignis, I've watched quite a few vids on You Tube of them doing gymkanas in Japan, hand brake turns around corners etc. Certainly don't need a lot of power to be competative, it's more of a handling course. Unfortunately working away I will find it hard to be there on that first date on the 17th, but will see about the other ones, I'm certainly keen.

It's one of those sports where you can comprehensively thrash a Porsche GT3 in something like a Datsun 200B, just go out to watch some of the club run events out at the Woolies distribution centre carpark at Monarto.

Comment

Anyone keen for a meetup this week, I'd like to hopefully go for a spin maybe on the weekend sometime, maybe head down south somewhere. We could meet at a Maccas or Hungry's for brekky and then head off?

Comment

I'm keen for sure.
                          Not sure which day yet.

Comment

Pick a day and we'll go from there! Gotta get out before I have to go back to work!

Comment

Originally posted by Corosith View Post
                              Anyone keen for a meetup this week, I'd like to hopefully go for a spin maybe on the weekend sometime, maybe head down south somewhere. We could meet at a Maccas or Hungry's for brekky and then head off?
                              Saturday morning?

Comment

Working...
                              X