Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still hit this site regularly. The FB page doesn't have any real info on there, just one or two people beating their chest about how fabulous they are... That being said, I've got another Colt coming down from QLD soon. Leaves on a truck Monday - 43000klms 2009 model in red. Should be good and time to start again with mods!

Comment

• Geebung71
      Geebung71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Im still drivin the colt these days , scan the rcolt site prob once a week

• New red one and old white one, well I would actually upload a photo as soon as I workout how to reduce image file size when using an iPad... First mods changed over tonight, Samco pipe work and Turbosmart kompact BOV.

Comment

• Hi Darren, What happened to your previous colt? or is the new one a project car?

Comment

• Nothing, just a new project. Was just going to be an engine but the old man weighed in and decided I needed to start from scratch. Will get the white back to stock and transfer selected parts over to the new car. I want to fit the 15T and use all Mitsubishi parts with a tune by SKR to see what I get. No 3 port or aftermarket ECU, just Mitsubishi.

Comment

• Sounds interesting, I look forward to updates & the end results...

Comment

• You know what is a reality, red Rcolts are tracked more than any other colour, both past and present. Perhaps switch to the white one for track purposes for something different for photographers to photograph

Was thinking, maybe twin 4G15T AWD project car but that would be bonkers and some consider "not powerful enough"... or a mid engine 4G15T RWD conversion???
            Last edited by kalt; 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• No more track stuff for me - 8yrs of racing in the 80's & 90's is enough. Hard to justify the $$ when the kids need to be educated...
              I looked at a Evo 3 engine & drive train into a Mirage but I ended up building a Shelby Cobra replica instead - better resale value. I actually broke even on the Shelby as long as you count my labour...

Second mod on the Red car last night - the pill accidently fell out and I had to put it back together without it... Same thing happened to Damo's car tonight, I really am clumsy with those solenoids.

Comment

• Do you miss the roadster? Think you said it was a bit rubbish around corners but nice on straight roads and up hills. Open top driving is something else though, well worth the premium to pay for the privilege.

Got metal detector? Actually could be a lucrative business, prospecting for pills at colt owners residences

Comment

• I do miss it but you really need two cars especially in hot weather - Bad sunburn...
                  It was def a cruising car and not a racer, needed a bit of work but it had Jaguar IRS and double A arm suspension on the front so not too bad. Was very nice to drive when it wasn't too hot, was also not to bad in the rain. Anything above 60 and you stay dry unless it was really bucketing down.

Recaros into the 09 tonight, don't rate the stock 09 seats around corners etc.

Comment

• Any updates on the project car?

Comment

• So far I'm just modifying some of the old gear to fit a bit better.
                      Working out ways to shorten the intake length of the FMIC set-up and slightly re-route the exhaust where it goes around the fuel tank and over the rear axle. The stereo is in the new car but I have to upload the photos before I post anything up showing the install.
                      Still running just with a K&N filter and the pill out.

White car is slowly getting de-modified. It's got the std exhaust, WG and solenoid on it along with the IC and airfilter. It's also had another oil change.
                      Still have to swap out the Bilsteins, clutch and diff.

Comment

• A productive weekend on the Red car; 2.5" dump and front pipe fitted along with the guard work required to fit the 16x7 +12 Performance Superlights. Also fitted the Bilsteins to the new car although I think I'm getting old as I really like the ride with the std suspension but like the look & performance of the Bilsteins...

Been looking at a set of Lovells springs as apparently they're a bit lower than than std but not as low as Kings or Pedders.
                        Also got myself another gearbox from a Colter up in Toowoomba with some worn synchos. I've had it pulled down and ordered the new bits via Bill @ Ralliart NZ which should be in Oz in about a month or so.
                        Found this gearbox guy up on North East Rd called 1110 Engineering. Apparently he's got a good business doing SR/RB gearbox conversions for the drift scene - sells most of stuff to NSW drifters. He welds the bell housing from an SR onto the RB GB and has a bit of a cult following - guy is pretty cool with his workshop and stuff going on up there. He's worked on the Getrag 5spds before so knew exactly what he was looking at/for.
                        Ralliart NZ guys have delivered again also - $258AUD for the bits (plus freight to Oz) for parts Ralliart Oz wanted about >$600 for.

Was thinking of selling all my Colts and goodies to get myself an 86 but after putting these wheels on I might keep on with it.

Comment

• Update!

Have got the LSD GB out of my white car and fitted up the essentially new (But no LSD) GB to it. The GB change went well with no problems and a lot of learning outcomes for changing a GB in a FWD car. The biggest one was how much force is required to lever out the passenger side driveshaft... I was being far too delicate with it and getting nowhere, out comes the prybar/wrecking bar and no problems.
                          My father has been using the white car as a daily whilst he finishes his move down here to sunny Adelaide with everything going fine on it so far. Gotta be impressed with the reliability and toughness of these colts. The white car hasn't missed a beat since being de-modded with no rattles or noises anywhere. I keep thinking about getting rid of my Colt(s) and getting a forester or similar but I just can't see anything else which is as cheap to run or modify yet still so practical - very happy.

I also found out how the old box developed a crack in it - ham fisted mechanics... When they were refitting the GB after the LSD install they used an incorrect bolt (metric fine instead of metric course) and stripped out the thread. This then allowed the rollstopper to loosen up and crack the housing... Pissed off but what can you do??
                          Anyway, the LSD equipped box has been repaired by Richy up at 1110 Engineering so all is good. Just tracking down a new HD clutch and I'll be fitting the LSD box to the red car soon. I'm starting to develop quite a store of parts for colt - gearbox, shifter assemblies, suspension, front cross member, brake discs, brake pads, steering rack, sway bars, exhaust and various turbo bits, silicone joiners etc.
                          Lovell springs have been fitted for time and I'm pretty happy with them. A softer ride ride than the King Springs or the Bilstein B14 I had in there but still sporty enough for me. Have been contemplating returning to the stock suspension to get the smoother ride but I just can't stand the 4x4 look that goes with it... Still may do though particularly after driving around in the white car on stock suspension, wheels and tyres.

Took off the Whiteline swaybar as well to improve the ride - a noticeable increase in understeer but less noise overall. I'll probably refit it after a while and see how I go.
                          Been running the Nankang NS-2R (205-45/16) 180 wear rate for a while now. Happy with the grip, handling and ride comfort but they're a bit noisy on the hwy compared to the previous Bridgestone Potenza RE002's. The Nanbangs handle & ride better but the RE002 is quieter for sure. The killer for the Nanbangs is the price - $115 fitted is a pretty strong argument. Haven't tried the RE003's yet so they may be another option on the future but the Nanbangs are a definite winner in the value for money stakes.
                          Chuckling on the 120 wear rate for a track day would be a very easy decision to make based my experience so far - very underrated tyre IMO. Starting to see a few WRX and VAG types getting around with these on too so it's not just me who thinks this.

Been chatting with Andy about the tune on my red car, I got Andy to alter the boost tables to pep up the response a bit prior to my new clutch install. Once that clutch goes in we'll be doing a custom tune on it to get it up a similar level to that of my old white car.
                          Gotta get of my ass and fit the wide band too... One day, most likely before Andy visits next.

Comment

• Some clutch updates - just ordered another Exedy HD from www.exedydirect.com.au - $630 delivered. which was as good it was going to get I think. Getting sick of Australian Clutch Services (ACS) AKA Extreme clutches. They've got some sort market monopoly going in Aust/NZ, no-one (I spoke to) wants to rebuild the Colt clutch - they all say to get an Extreme clutch....
                            Ring Extreme direct here in Aelaide and they quote $950ish for their organic HD up $1100 for the paddle clutch. Ring Repco for the organic HD and they quote $770 which the same as the ebay prices.
                            Found some other sources which I'll put in the RColt forumClutch guide.

Comment

• Bit of car time today: Exedy HD M Factory LSD 06 lights Std suspension back in. Pictures later when I resize them.

Comment

Working...
                              X