Since last update:
    RSR Ti2000 Lowered springs
    Beatrush Shortshifter
    2nd Cat Delete

Parts Still Waiting Install:
    XR6 Intercooler or
    eBay Intercooler

Parts Removed:
    Carbon Mitsy Front Grill Badge (returned to stock chrome one)

Parts on the Wanted List:
    Version-R hatch badge
    Version-R Scuff plates
    Version-R rear door decals
    Z27AG Late model JDM intercooler

I raced the car at the Collingrove Hillclimb in the Barossa Valley (relevant to the red wine fans).. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNvJg3HrbT0

Comment

Its good to see progress in another colt! love it

Comment

Looks good Andy, liking the vid at collingrove Davin

Comment

Thanks guys. Collingrove was a blast. I've made a bit more progress on the car :

Fitted:
          Turbotech MBC (http://bit.ly/1z89r59)
          Laile Roof Bar (http://bit.ly/1OxNnbf)
          Ralliart Blue Shift Knob (http://bit.ly/1HMcCkr)

The swap from Grimmspeed to manual boost controller was easy as, took ~ 10 minutes, then four or five boost level adjustments to get it right. Boosts up a bit quicker now and holds boost much more consistently (doesn't seem weather dependent). Also every bit as smooth. Looking forward to the next run at Collingrove as I'm pretty sure throttle control through the tight twisty part will be easier now. Not sure if I'll return to grimmspeed or not, will do more testing..

Also, forgot to mention a while back I cut the stock airbox (don't worry I have a spare!), to trial a ghetto-mod that a few rcolters have done. Car appears to pull harder at revs, but if its a hot day, or doing stop-start driving then heat soak can be noticeable.

Spare ECU also acquired - just in case i brick mine trying to re-program it.

Comment

A mate had the Turbotech MBC on his VR4, worked a treat.
            Thinking of trying this route and putting the 3port in our Forester for a bit more kick.

I've got a GFB bleed type (non-gated like the turbotech or turbosmart), so it doesn't hold boost as well as a gated unit.
            I think it's a combination of OE wastegate actuator pressure and excess pressure being bled out to achieve desired boost.

I'm also having issues with the 3port being ambient or air intake temp sensitive.

There apparently is an undefined map somewhere in the ECU that is an offset for WGDC maps at a given intake temp.

Have noticed anything below ~25deg on the intake sensor, it doesn't boost as it's set in the WGDC maps.
            Had it set to 16psi just before winter, now I get 9-10psi anything under 21deg AI, and 13-14psi around 24deg, above that it's as per WGDC.
            May have to spend some more time working the reactive boost control rather than non-reactive. Reactive doesn't seem to be affected as much by temp.

Comment

Originally posted by skyrex View Post
              I've got a GFB bleed type (non-gated like the turbotech or turbosmart), so it doesn't hold boost as well as a gated unit.
              The turbotech was $42 delivered. If you only have bleed type, i'd buy the gated one as they're pretty cheap & worth the experiment... I think you'll find you like how it runs.. As with the grimmspeed unit, as you up the boost log knocksum & injector duty cycle though..

You probably dont need this diagram, but just in case (and for others) this is how i hooked up the turbotech mbc.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvax29qcrz...20MBC.PNG?dl=0

A mate had the Turbotech MBC on his VR4, worked a treat.
              There apparently is an undefined map somewhere in the ECU that is an offset for WGDC maps at a given intake temp.
              Interesting - I was told there wasn't - but that could have been incorrect. I'll search for it over the next week or so.

May have to spend some more time working the reactive boost control rather than non-reactive. Reactive doesn't seem to be affected as much by temp.
              Yeah that's what I found too. I think I'll only return to ECU boost control if I can find a away to control the temperature variations. So far the MBC has exceeded my expectations - smooth, fast and consistent.

Comment

After winding back the MBC boost, I noticed that the MBC boost drop off at higher rpms was much faster than with the 3 port. I didnt notice it too much in the first few days as it was only noticable at 5000+

So to achieve MBC benefits, but with 3 port like boost in the top end, I have moved to a hybrid in series setup, where the MBC feeds into the 3 port, and then I've set the WGDC maps to 0 in low rpm ranges. This effectively makes the 3 port a straight through. Then in line with how boost tapers off, I phase in WGDC, to furter restrict pressure from the wastegate solenoid.

So far this new setup is working really well, but its early days so my boost curves not 100% dialled in right yet.

So with my boost setup not quite setup right, I snuck in on another dyno day at Graham West. Was a VW dyno day. Anyway, this time I got 124kW @ 5700 (a big jump from my previous 95 @ 5600).

Current power setup:
                -----------------
                Panel Filter
                Stock exhaust except 2nd Cat delete
                Stock intercooler
                Evo X bov
                MBC & 3 port in series
                Lots of ECU changes
                Airbox left hand side opened up

There was a mk5 golf gti there, which also put out 124kW. Stock they're 147kW - this one had some intake mods but otherwise stock...So *maybe* my car has 150kw @ flywheel now, up from the stock 113.
                Last edited by andy; 11-05-2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Nice gains Andy! Should be able to get on the dyno in next couple of weeks, so you can check your boost levels and fuel mixtures etc. I'll keep you updated. Looks like I might be buying a mbc to go with the 3port

Comment

Been a little while between updates so figured it was time for another post. I've returned back to just the 3 port setup to test out a few ECU settings and work on a more aggressive 3 port tune to try and match the MBC + 3 port hybrid setup I used above. A work in progress but going well so far. I have consistent boost no matter what the weather now, so that was my main gripe with the 3 port.

Mods wise I've got things on the go, not not yet on the car:
                    tf035-15T hybrid turbo
                    2.5 turbo back exhaust
                    fmic
                    sti pink injectors

Collecting parts up to put all these on in the one hit, so may be a few months off... Planning to take a few days off and hit the spanners.

Comment

Oh also, my XML work on AUDM Rcolt continues (slowly), as well as work on XML for the 2005 CVT Rcolt (no bonnet vent or flares model). That's nearly complete.

Comment

Another brief update - car now running a 2.5 turbo back exhaust, 100CEL cat, resonator and JUN BL cannon. Bought it second hand and fitted over two weekends.
                        Car response at all RPMs is significantly improved - feels a lot faster everywhere. Have also installed a Innovate LC1 but its readings are off (always too lean) so need to troubleshoot that.

Re-tuned for boost for the new exhaust, now hitting full boost around ~2600-2700rpms. Had to rescale the WGDC rpm axis to dial it in (warning on rescaling many of the merlin/macca flash axis definitions point to the wrong axis table).

Power wise the car is now in a very good state. Had a country hills run with a 2012 WRX (stock). Was great fun but the best bit was the Colt was faster on corners and straights. Power to weight FTW

Have placed an order with RUNUTS for an XR6 intercooler kit, and will re-tune it again after that.

Oh also, have put swapped back my stock airbox - the heat sink from the cut airbox was too great for how I use the car. At hillclimbs you can sit with engine on for 5 minutes before being able to do your run which pushed up under bonnet air temps. This meant that off the line the car felt a bit sluggish. If I was doing normal track work, I'd probably have kept the cut airbox though..

To install:
                        565 STi pinks
                        tf035-15T
                        RUNUTS XR6 Kit

Parts on wishlist:
                        Engine pitch limiter (or super pro bushes in factory item)
                        Colt factory car mats
                        Some very sticky tires

XML work - has slowed up recently due to other things going on. But finished 2005 CVT Rcolt definition (2 variants), 2006+ JDM MT definition, and a few more fields for the 2006+ AUDM MT def. Haven't done the 2006+ JDM CVT definition yet.

I've been doing random Rcolt posts on my blog www.turbocolt.com. Eventually this will have all my ecu work on it. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Comment

• odysseyesm
                          odysseyesm commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sounds good!
                          Lemme know when ur going to do the pitch limiter thing. I have a spare OEM one here which we could use to mod and swap out the stockie on an exchange basis if people are interested.

Have u modded the fuel pump yet?

Yeah I'm running Walbro. Its pretty noisy at idle though! I had both a walbro and a evo9 pump and went the walbro because it was easier to do cutting of plastic (walbro) than grinding of metal (evo) to get it to fit. At a later date if i can be bothered I'll buy a DeatschWerks DW65c for a quieter idle.

My parts list changed recently with an unexpected purchase of a RPW Steampipe manifold.

Yeah i have a a spare stock engine stabiliser too - bought off a wrecked rcolt. Not sure when I'll pull the trigger on the superpro bushes - I've gotta stop buying expensive rcolt parts as its delaying buying this one.

To install:
                        565 STi pinks
                        RPW Steampipe manifold (new! - looks good!)
                        tf035-15T
                        RUNUTS XR6 Kit

Parts on wishlist:
                        Engine pitch limiter (or super pro bushes in factory item)
                        Colt factory car mats
                        Some very sticky tires

Comment

Another update, have installed a coltspeed engine pitch limited (60 hardness bushes, but have 80 also), I've finally installed and dialled in the sti pink 565 injectors. They're about 80-90% where I want them to be (just refining idle, starting and a few other things left). Good enough for some motorsport - more on this in a minute! Have also bought a set of cheap Chinese semi slicks - Goodride RS, 170 treadwear 205 45 16's. Quite grippy compared to my 10 year old advans..

I've installed a HKS Kansai service lowered seat rail for the drivers side. It's great, love the lower feeling. Does it make a difference to anything? Probably not, but makes me happier driving it.

Back to motorsport - raced at Collingrove a weekend ago, set a new PB of 38.34 on a slipping clutch. Was only a come and try day, but finished 7th of 70 cars there, so put in a strong showing. The video of the run is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc8YS5_IrKc

On the slipping clutch, have just done a deal on an Exedy HD setup. Have read varied reports on their durability, some say has been good no problems in 3 years, others say still going, but slipping.. We'll see!

Revised to install and wishlist is now:

To install:
                          RPW Steampipe manifold (new! - looks good!)
                          tf035-15T
                          RUNUTS XR6 Kit
                          Exedy HD Clutch
                          Braided Brake lines
                          Whiteline anti-lift kit
                          MAF adapter & pod setup

Parts on wishlist:
                          Colt factory car mats
                          Lightened Flywheel

Comment

Brief update. Some fresh parts ready to go on - ceramic coated RPW steampipe manifold (the photo also shows a Tonnka manifold), and XR6 based FMIC kit by RUNUTS. I haven't changed the clutch for the Exedy HD yet, as the stock one seems to have recovered from its post-hillclimb blues. Could be weather or maybe I glazed it or something, either way its holding the torque ok for the moment. More photos to come once FMIC kit is installed.

Comment

Fmic fitted!

Comment

Working...
                              X