Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial: Ver R Interior Trim [BIG PICS]

Guide has been moved to the below.

http://tonkatsumech.blogspot.com.au/...rior-trim.html
    Last edited by lawocg; 27-04-2014, 08:13 PM.

Thanks for the write up, I've never been a great painter when it comes to ending up with a nice glossy finish, but this should certainly help out (I tried painting a few of my guitar bodies but ended up making a hash job of it). I think the key to getting a good finish is simply lots of patience & persistance. I thought about giving it a go after seeing Runuts factory red trim parts, luckily I bought exactly the same colour as you at Supercheap earlier today, it was described as Mitsubishi Molten and seemed to be the closest finish to the colt's. Hopefully I can replicate the great finish you ended up with. How many cans did you use?

Comment

I found that Mitsubishi Molten is the closest in my eyes. I didn't want a Ferrari red finish as it would've been too much.

I bought 2 cans of the stuff but only used 1

Comment

good guide.

i did the same thing, but in flat black.

Comment

Just finished doing my inserts yesterday, turns out that Mitsubishi Molten red is a dead ringer for the red duco on my colt, it even gets the same "orange glow in direct sunlight. The inserts turned out really nice, the only part I stuffed up was sanding back one of the edges on the top of the middle inset with the 2000 grit wet & day - I ended taking the clear coat & paint off back to the plastic in one very small spot. It's hardly noticable, I might redo that one sometime but it's fine for now. So if you try this out, be very careful sanding back near any sharp corners or edge, as the paint finish will be much thinner here than the rest. Alternatively (and probably the better idea), is to place as many clear coats as the damned thing as you can, I did about 4-5 but obviously it wasn't quite enough.

Nasty pic due to the sunlight, but here you go anyway (ignore all the sihit on the floor - lol):

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1...intedtrims.jpg

Comment

sexy sexy! is the molten red a spot on match to ur red exterior?

and with the clearcoat, yup that a tip as well! spray a shitload of layers on so u don't have to worry about sanding it back.

post a update on how it fairs after a few weeks/months in the sunlight, I suspect the clear finish will dull and be in need of a polish.

Comment

Originally posted by lawocg View Post
              sexy sexy! is the molten red a spot on match to ur red exterior?

and with the clearcoat, yup that a tip as well! spray a shitload of layers on so u don't have to worry about sanding it back.

post a update on how it fairs after a few weeks/months in the sunlight, I suspect the clear finish will dull and be in need of a polish.
              It's pretty damned close, I held the trim up against the paintwork and it matched pretty well. At first I thought the colout was too dark (inside), but when viewed in the sunlight it looks like a candy apple red, am quite chuffed ay the results.

Comment

Hey Law, how easy wasd it to remove the centre dash trim & vent surrounds, i want to give this a shot, also thinking of doing the gear gater trim and silver door parts.

Comment

Its a piece of cake.

Center dash panel pops off and there is 2 screws, and the vents, you pull down and out from 12 o-clock

Comment

Anyone done the door trims and gear knob surround? Would be great to do everything red. Where can you get this exact red from these days. Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Comment

i've done the gearshift surround, just pops off... i havent bothered with the silver parts on the door trim, not sure how they come off.

Comment

you unscrew the window switches and they unscrew from there

Comment

Working...
                        X