Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing OIL Pressure or Temp Gauges.

Ok so to install anything in the oil system there is 2 bumgs already blocked on the car you can use!

You DONT NEED a sandwich plate at all!!

The spot for the 2 sensors is as follows

One above the oil filter, facing forwards with the front of the car being 12 o-clock its at 3 o-clock.
    http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...g/IMG_0486.jpg

You can access it by removing the front right wheel, and removing the small plastic panel which is 2 screws and 2 clips.

Its an 8mm allen key bolt.

The other looks the exact same but much harder to get to.

in at the back of the oil pump right below the oil pressure switch.
    http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...g/IMG_0490.jpg

Now to the important part most sensors for oil systems are 1/8 BSP threads, a tapering thread.

Now on the car it is a 3/8 BSP thread

I bought a 1/8 to 1/4 and stuck it inside a 1/4 to 3/8 BSP adapters to fit to the car.

Total cost of them was $5!

When i can be bothered ill take a pic of said install for you all.

Reason for this thread was to have a clear thread to find the corrst size fitting to fit to the car, I searched for ages and found a heap of conflicting info.

Yes, I bought a couple of brass sensor adapters from supercheap thinking one or the other would fit, but unfortuntely never got to fit them to the colt as the bloody autogauge sensor didn't fit the adapter.

Comment

Thanks for the info Macca, should be useful to quite a few people in the future.

I personally mounted my oil pressure sensor in the port closest to the wheel well as you described, and mounted the oil temp sensor into the sump plug. I chose those locations because it was the easiest way I could see to do it

Comment

Updated with pics

Comment

Mmm, greddy sump plug!

Comment

Originally posted by Macca View Post
            Ok so to install anything in the oil system there is 2 bumgs already blocked on the car you can use!

You DONT NEED a sandwich plate at all!!

The spot for the 2 sensors is as follows

One above the oil filter, facing forwards with the front of the car being 12 o-clock its at 3 o-clock.
            http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...g/IMG_0486.jpg

You can access it by removing the front right wheel, and removing the small plastic panel which is 2 screws and 2 clips.

Its an 8mm allen key bolt.

The other looks the exact same but much harder to get to.

in at the back of the oil pump right below the oil pressure switch.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...g/IMG_0490.jpg

Now to the important part most sensors for oil systems are 1/8 BSP threads, a tapering thread.

Now on the car it is a 3/8 BSP thread

I bought a 1/8 to 1/4 and stuck it inside a 1/4 to 3/8 BSP adapters to fit to the car.

Total cost of them was $5!

When i can be bothered ill take a pic of said install for you all.

Reason for this thread was to have a clear thread to find the corrst size fitting to fit to the car, I searched for ages and found a heap of conflicting info.
            Many years late into Colt, trying my luck here. Recently installed oil pressure and oil temp sensors but workshop used a sandwich plate for the installation. I would like to use the above described spots for the sensors instead. Can any kind souls help to point out where the 2nd spot is in the pic? I am still new to cars so pardon me for asking this.

Comment

Working...
            X