Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial: How to change gearbox oil.

Guide has been moved to the below

http://tonkatsumech.blogspot.com.au/...arbox-oil.html
    Last edited by lawocg; 27-04-2014, 08:14 PM.

Nice! This is also handy for those that are planning on doing a clutch change.
    Drain the box before removing drive shafts or you're gonna have a bad time...

I need to do mine again, my box is being a bitch in the cooler mornings now, if I start the car in neutral it will not go into any gear unless I turn the car off, work it into any gear it will go into and then start the car again.
    Going to run Nulon 80w smooth shift fluid to try and combat this.
    If that doesnt work, going to go as the Skyline guys do in their getrag boxes and use Redline shockproof.

Comment

Thanks for the tute! Been meaning to swap mine over soon as well, it's also being a bitch in the mornings. What brand oil you guys recommend?

Comment

piss into a bucket and use that for oil. its an insider tip.

Comment

Depends, my piss is probably full of bourban and pale ale.

Comment

Originally posted by lawocg
            I just went with Castrol VMX-M 75W-85 GL4. Readily available and priced fairly cheap. Read that its the only approved factory fill or top up oil approved by Mitsubishi. But do a search lots of ppl recommending different oil.
            I also used this because it's what I had from my Lancer (Last car), and it was pretty close to what was needed.
            I feel it's a bit too thin and is causing the shifting problems I am having of a morning in this cool weather. Will report back when I have some thicker 80w in it.

Comment

Originally posted by lawocg
              Do you have either the RPW or beatrush short shifter? Stiffer engine roll braces will affect it too.
              Nah all stock in that dept, though it's something that has been on the list for some time... "when I get around to it".

I had the RPW shifter in my Lancer, was frikking awesome and tight. Would often have to give neutral a flick from second back to first when stopping to get it in but otherwise no problems.

The Skyline boys swear by Redline Shockproof for their getrag boxes... makes me think if it would work for us.

Comment

sweet. my blog was originally intended to have tutes like this.
                but couldn't get around to writing it and hoped pics would tell it so.

do u mind if i use it? i will ad it to my images.

i can appreciate the effort to try and explain a simple process for some to what is understandable by all.

i have had good luck with royal purple, and neo racing. bad luck with redline
                Tam is using royal purple atm as per my suggestion. Can't remember what i put in James.
                Amsoil comes highly recommended in general

anyone changing oil in the gb would appreciate a home made over fill kit. u will never have to battle with oil over filling drops or getting the top nut off
                http://ayu452.blogspot.com.au/2011/0...rfill-kit.html

Last edited by Ayu452; 29-04-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I have 99.9% of the overfill kit. My local Enzed doesn't stock any brass fittings in metric :-| I would have to order in the M18x1.5 fitting to fit the fill hole.
                  I took the parts specs to them on your blog Ayu and all I got was puzzled stares lol.

Comment

because there aren't any m18 right angle fittings, i use a generic m18x1.5 sensor adapt to connect to a 1/4 bsp fitting, right angled so that i can face it up.
                    i use liquid thread lock or teflon tape. Both aren't really needed.
                    the other end is plugged by a 1/4 barb. you can fold it over it self, use a plastic clip similar to your sprinkers or leave it open, up to u
                    the gearbox has a breather near the shifter.

if ppl r interested i can build the kits and post em. but lol at the guys at enzed who have no idea.
                    there standard m18 bsp sensor adapter or whatever they wanna call it will work.

photos in the link, no idea how to post pics in this new forum

http://ayu452.blogspot.com.au/2013/0...-in-rcolt.html

Comment

Thanks for the diy again, i ended up doing the oil change today and the instructions couldn't be clearer.

Just a note, i purchased Amsoil Manual Transmission MTG 75w90 as recommended on bobtheoilguy forums.

http://bit.ly/13VGhCg

And couldn't be happier, my problems getting into reverse are gone.

Comment

I'm using amsoil gear oil too, but using the severe gear series.

Comment

Can anyone link me to the new location for the guide? Link above doesn't seem to work

Comment

http://lawdiy.blogspot.com.au/2013/0...arbox-oil.html

Comment

Working...
                            X