X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings?

Hey guys, my local mechanic is having a lot of trouble finding wheel bearings for the colt, anyone know why this might be and where to get them?

Have he/her tried contacting Mitsubishi? If anything, i reckon he/her need to take out the bearing on the colt and see what aftermarket one fits....

You having wheel bearing issues?

Comment

Front left is making the traditional rotational whumb whumb whumb whumb whumb around corners. Would say it needs replacing. Hes apparently tried to contact mitsu, first available ones are end of november?

Comment

did the noise increase as the speed goes? and does it only make that noise when turning right? I think i'm having some wheel bearing issues too, but never go around to fix it as its gonna be expensive

Comment

Yeah when turning right, otherwise no sound. Going left doesn't make anywhere near as much noise. My mechanic reckons they're actually a sealed unit and from mitsu.. $490 each..

Comment

Originally posted by oodLes View Post
            Yeah when turning right, otherwise no sound. Going left doesn't make anywhere near as much noise. My mechanic reckons they're actually a sealed unit and from mitsu.. $490 each..
            Now that's f**ked.......that's $980 for a pair (excluding labor ) Even getting through trade.....might only save that much Anyway, keep us posted......

Comment

what is the part number for this? anyone know?

is this different to Rcolts?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISH...-/360196789078

Comment

Whoa thanks mate, looks like what Im after, just not 100% sure so I emailed him and asked. Hope to get a good answer, will report back.

Comment

Maybe get your mechanic to try an aftermarket bearing supplier like Consolidated Bearings (only place I can think of here in SA). They do automotive bearings from well known brands like NTN, and supply much of the automotive business.

Here's the specs for the front bearings that you could take to the bearing supplier, also looks like they need to have the inbuilt magnetic encoder for the wheel speed sensor, so they are not plain jane bearings.

The rear bearings are not listed as they are sealed into the rear hub, these are the expensive ones, if they go looks like you have to replace the whole box and dice.

The ones on ebay should fit, just need to check about the wheel speed sensor.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9198/...aringfront.png

Comment

Ok so I checked those out and with my mechanic, the colt has specific to it wheel bearings, those standard ones won't work apparently. :\ Still on the hunt.

Comment

Do you know the part number?

Comment

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I now know why the damn things are so expensive..

http://o-tab.com/pics/colt/wheelbearingrequirements.jpg

See those two things in pink? Thats what you replace to replace a wheel bearing. Yep. So those eBay ones will not work.

Comment

Originally posted by oodLes View Post
                          Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I now know why the damn things are so expensive..

http://o-tab.com/pics/colt/wheelbearingrequirements.jpg

See those two things in pink? Thats what you replace to replace a wheel bearing. Yep. So those eBay ones will not work.
                          Those two things in pink have nothing to do with the bearings, one is the dust cover for the brake disc and the other is the hub bolt (aka wheel studs x 4), I wouldn't think neither would have to be replaced and if you are being told otherwise, I would think someone is trying to pull your leg or trying to rip you off. Have a read of the workshop manual, it's all there in black and white. Even if you do have to replace the hub bolts, they should only cost a few bucks each, tyre shops snap them all the time.

For example, here is a better diagram of those parts that you mentioned, showing the actual wheel bearing in the scheme of things, the manual shows how to pull apart the hub, replace the bearing, and reassemble, no mention of replacing any consumables or anything else for that matter. If fact even the diagram outlines the assembly/disassembly procedure and judging by the diagram, both the N/A RG colt and Rallairt colt take the same bearing, just the brake caliper mount is different to suit wither 14 or 15" brake setup.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5895/hub.png
                          Here's a link to a Kelpro bearings catalogue that shows a listing for both the 4A19 & 4g15 RG colt:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...PE32mDA11qAuEQ

Comment

So now I don't know what the fuck. Im gonna show that diagram (I have the manual myself but couldn't find that page) to my mechanic, see what we can do.

Comment

correctomondo front wheels bearings are not part of the dust cover or hub bolt.

Its the rear wheel bearing that has the hub built into the bearing

Comment

Working...
                              X