X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMIC Install $$$

How much would a shop charge to do an install?

or

If there's an rcolt member in Sydney-Central Coast-Newcastle proficient at installing FMICs, how much you want?

http://www.ipgparts.net/store/images/T/intercoolers.jpg

A shop would charge a bomb.

DIY with a 500x140 core and rpw pipe kit should be about $500 worth and a day of your time.

The hard part is mounting the core on the crash bar.

Comment

It takes us around 4 hours to fit up the kits - that includes removing the front bumper support, welding some tabs onto the inside of them and then modifying hte front plastic bumper and cutting out some areas.

Comment

DIY guide

Dave do you have a link to an installation guide for the FMIC kit?

Want to give instructions to a shop when i get the install done so they have a guide on how to set up the mounting brackets etc.

Comment

Theres a million ways to do to, most of them work as well as each other. Its pretty self explanatory especially for a mechanic

Comment

In all honesty its so easy to do these, I havn't written a guide up but essentially here it is in easy steps

(A) Remove front bumper off vehicle, and factory intercooler, piping and all plastic shrouds off the front area
            (B) Remove the heavy weight dampener on drivers side lower section of vehicle (This has to be done to enable the piping to come around), bend tab in for additioanl clearance on intercooker piping
            (C) Remove P clamp off lower radiator hose, reverse and refit so that the lower radiator hose is lifted higher
            (D) Mount up intercooker into centre position and mark on front bumper bar
            (E) Remove bumper bar, weld brackets and then fit intercooler
            (F) Refit front bumper with 4 X 3mm thick washers so that the bumper bar is spaced out slightly, this is to provide additional clearance on intercooker to air conditioning unit sitting in front of radiator)
            (G) Fit up all RPW Pipework
            (H) Dummy fit front bumper (With all mesh material removed) and mark out where to cut for clearance
            (G) Cut where appropiate and then fit for final fitment.

Comment

I think most diy stuff would be easy if u are confident and have had some experience in car modifications.. I think most of the problems would be access to all the tools required.. Like me, i would love to diy fit almost anything but i dont have the right tools to do so.. I dont even have a hydraulic jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsiman View Post
                In all honesty its so easy to do these, I havn't written a guide up but essentially here it is in easy steps

(A) Remove front bumper off vehicle, and factory intercooler, piping and all plastic shrouds off the front area
                (B) Remove the heavy weight dampener on drivers side lower section of vehicle (This has to be done to enable the piping to come around), bend tab in for additioanl clearance on intercooker piping
                (C) Remove P clamp off lower radiator hose, reverse and refit so that the lower radiator hose is lifted higher
                (D) Mount up intercooker into centre position and mark on front bumper bar
                (E) Remove bumper bar, weld brackets and then fit intercooler
                (F) Refit front bumper with 4 X 3mm thick washers so that the bumper bar is spaced out slightly, this is to provide additional clearance on intercooker to air conditioning unit sitting in front of radiator)
                (G) Fit up all RPW Pipework
                (H) Dummy fit front bumper (With all mesh material removed) and mark out where to cut for clearance
                (G) Cut where appropiate and then fit for final fitment.
                Muchas gracias!!!

Comment

Next time we fit one I will take photos and write up a DIY Guide.

Comment

Working...
                  X