X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil for RColt??

I was wondering if any of you have changed your engine oil yet? if yes, what brand & spec of oil do you use? My old silvia used to use Castrol Formula R 10w-60.......don't know if it will still be alright for the new boy. Alot people said 10w-60 is abit thick and will hindle the performance, but my mechanic like to use it on my silvia for protection.....

Motul 4100 Turbolight 10w40 is brilliant stuff. Semi synthetic so it lasts longer and its pretty cheap $45 approx. Noticeably smoother than others and leaves engine parts nice and clean. Never buy Castrol Magnatec you will notice a definite drop in performance and need to let the car drain forever when changing the oil.

Comment

I use 10W60 Castrol TWS which is the regular oil for EVO 9.
      I have a oil temp gauge and can never see it over 100 with this oil.

Comment

Originally posted by lovecolt View Post
        I was wondering if any of you have changed your engine oil yet? if yes, what brand & spec of oil do you use? My old silvia used to use Castrol Formula R 10w-60.......don't know if it will still be alright for the new boy. Alot people said 10w-60 is abit thick and will hindle the performance, but my mechanic like to use it on my silvia for protection.....
        i changed to Motul 8100/5w40 full syth at 5,000kms,i feel the car slightly more powerful and the engine noise is louder, may be the engine have loosen up a bit ,but certainly it feels faster.
        i dont think its good to use 10w60 or 5w50 ,factory recommended highest is 40 cause its small turbo i think,50 or 60 is thick for our cvr, may be it protect a little better than 40 but you take off slower.
        i have done 9,800 something kms and on monday i take it to dealership to get the oil and filter change cause we need the 5,000kms oil changed book stamp otherwise i change it myself,they use BP 5,000 5w40 but i think its not full syth oil.

Comment

is there even a recommend oil in our manual?? Anyway, i put in the Castrol Formula R Edge Sport 5w-30 this time.

Comment

Oil Filters and Engine Oil

Ive been thinking of what oil filter to fit now being a turbo car I thort a bit more care should be taken in this proccess so I had a look around and found this interesting link:
            http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html#avoid

I could give a short recap of what is recomended but we are all adults and can make up our minds as to what we belive would best suit our Rcolt's.

I also found this interesting and informative page on Engine Oil
            http://www.canyontraders.com/oil_camparisons.htm

Comment

I changed my oil and filter today. To my surprise the filter I bought from the spare parts department (MD356000) did not match the stock filter on the car (MD136466). When I rang to check, the parts guy told me the original filter is an option in japan and not available in Oz. The original one has an extra ring of drainage holes in it just inside the rubber seal. I wonder if there is much of a difference in the quality of filters? The oz version is the same one specified for the 4G63's in evo's.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciPiggy View Post
                I changed my oil and filter today. To my surprise the filter I bought from the spare parts department (MD356000) did not match the stock filter on the car (MD136466). When I rang to check, the parts guy told me the original filter is an option in japan and not available in Oz. The original one has an extra ring of drainage holes in it just inside the rubber seal. I wonder if there is much of a difference in the quality of filters? The oz version is the same one specified for the 4G63's in evo's.
                I can comfirm that the parts guy have totally no idea what he's talking about, because the oil filter i bought is MD136466 (the original).

By the way, went to do my 2nd oil change with my mechanic. And he used 5w-40 Castrol Formula R Edge. You might ask why i change oil so quick? Because the first time, i am unable to unscrew my oil filter. However, get them to loosen the oil filter this time and i will be able to do it next time myself.

*Btw, i have taken some pics of how i do my oil change.....anyone interested?? I could post up as a thread to teach everyone how to do a simple oil change that save you big bucks.

Comment

Interesting. I love being lied to by the service department .

If you want to get off a tight filter just buy a wrench from supercheap. They are $5 tops. It is a joy to change the oil on these cars. Everything is so easy to get at. No more reaching behind hot engine parts or pulling half the engine out to get to the filter as the filter is right there next to the sump. I am sure you know this Lovecolt but for others who haven't changed their oil yet, when you buy the filter make sure to also get the deformable washers for the sump plug. The are designed to squash down to make a good seal, they should not be reused as they can leak.

Comment

I don't know who your mechanic is but he hasn't got a clue if he thinks using a thicker oil is better protection on a over head multicam engine.

I don't know what oil Mits recommend for the engine but I'm sure the manual will tell you. Do not use a different grade oil than what is recommended, there is a reason oil companies and car companies test to see what oil suits what engine.

A little on oil if you don't alrready know.

There are two types of oil, Singlegrade and Multigrade but for Ralliart Colts you wll need a Multigrade so that's what I'll talk about.

The numbers on the bottle what they really mean

Lets say you go grab a bottle of 10w-40 for your car. When you see a W on a viscosity rating it means that this oil viscosity has been tested at a Colder temperature. The numbers without the W are all tested at 210 F or 100 C which is considered an approximation of engine operating temperature. In other words, a SAE 30 motor oil is the same viscosity as a 10w-30 or 5W-30 at 210 (100 C). The difference is when the viscosity is tested at a much colder temperature. For example, a 5W-30 motor oil performs like a SAE 5 motor oil would perform at the cold temperature specified, but still has the SAE 30 viscosity at 210 F (100 C) which is engine operating temperature. This allows the engine to get quick oil flow when it is started cold verses dry running until lubricant either warms up sufficiently or is finally forced through the engine oil system. The advantages of a low W viscosity number is obvious. The quicker the oil flows cold, the less dry running. Less dry running means much less engine wear.
                    If a motor oil passes the cold temperature or W (winter grade) specification for a SAE 15W and at 210 F (100 C) flows through the viscometer like a SAE 40 motor oil, then the label will read 15W-40
                    How many times I have heard someone, usually an auto mechanic, say that they wouldn't use a 5W-30 motor oil because it is, "Too thin." Then they may use a 10W-30 or SAE 30 motor oil. At engine operating temperatures these oils are the same. The only time the 5W-30 oil is "thin" is at cold start up conditions where you need it to be "thin."

So what's this mean for our oil in a car such as a ralliart colt. Lets say for arguments sake mitsubishi recommends a 10w -40. sould you run a 5w. Well for a oil to have a rating of 10W it has to pass the flow test at -20, a 5W oil has to pass the test at -25. Do we drive our cars in that type of temperature, I think not so lowering your W ( which actually stands for "Winter") rating is a waste of time in Australia You will gain nothing as both a 5W -40 and a 10W-40 both are the same thickness at opertaing temperature and both run perfectly at start up.
                    So would you run a 50 or even a 60 grade oil in a car recommending a 40, well remember that the oil is tested at a opertaing temperature of 100 degrees and has to flow a certain amount to get it's rating, The higher the number the less flow it has at opertaing temperature causing more wear on the engine.

Hope this helps on what oil you should use.

Comment

Engine oil

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what's the normal Oil Temp for Colt Plus Ralliart Turbo.
                      Is 115.C on the high side after a hard and long drive uphill??

It's only about 100.C doing city drive,But will shoot up to 110.C
                      at Full throttle.
                      and when its driving up Hills.( 115.c)

Appreciate if anyone can share their experience with me.

Comment

I use and have always used mobil 1.
                        Before getting my colt I had a gray import Startlet GT Turbo (still have it, its for sale ATM) The Starlet has done 170,000k, it goes as hard and strong as the day I bought it, never uses any oil and is still running very high compression.
                        For the money, and I know its expensive but I doubt you can do better than mobil 1.

Chris

Comment

ozzie,
                          mate same as me, i had a grey import twin turbo supra and always used full synthetic oil, ie mobil one and use it now in the colt as well. Cars love it.

Comment

I can comfirm that the parts guy have totally no idea what he's talking about, because the oil filter i bought is MD136466 (the original).

By the way, went to do my 2nd oil change with my mechanic. And he used 5w-40 Castrol Formula R Edge. You might ask why i change oil so quick? Because the first time, i am unable to unscrew my oil filter. However, get them to loosen the oil filter this time and i will be able to do it next time myself.

*Btw, i have taken some pics of how i do my oil change.....anyone interested?? I could post up as a thread to teach everyone how to do a simple oil change that save you big bucks.
                            i am interested... don't mind admitting i am a newb!!

Comment

Originally posted by bunnybash View Post
                              i am interested... don't mind admitting i am a newb!!
                              Will try to dig it out and put up a thread

Comment

Working...
                              X