Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From 2007 Rcolt to 2007 Boxter S then back to RColt

Hi all,

I just had to share my story on this. I have had my Colt since Demo new back in 2008, currently at 148.2fwkw, anyway came across some spare inheritance cash about a year ago, not brave enough to buy another property for new, so I splashed out and bought a 2007 Boxter S 3.4...in Adelaide...from Brisbane, and proceeded to fly down, pick er up and drive it 2050km back home (in 24 hours) missing multiple hundreds of Max Max style Kangaroos and goats on the way. Anyway I made it back incident free...any you know what as amazing as some aspects of the car are...(with my Rcolt still in the shed)....f^ck it I'm selling the Porsche and going back to 'ol faithful RColt. Basically the Porsche is not really any faster in any circumstances except ...urmm at well lets just say "higher speeds". It's heavier to use gears/clutch/brakes/steering and not as chuckable at lower speeds often experienced daily....anyway if you have a Rcolt that has mods....it's a good car and really your not missin' much....except being a convertible...and I have an old Ford Capri for that.....

Nice. What mods have you done to the Colt?
    Last edited by odse; 05-04-2016, 10:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Headers, fuel pump, intake, 3 port solenoid XR6 custom fmic, tuning, exhaust. total cost from new spent 26k (21k demo purchase), 8 years ownership. I just also bought a 2003 MR2 but honestly it's more of a novelty car as it only has 103kw and looks good, the colt is a much better drivers car without bias. Think I will sell the MR2 now that i've had a taste.

Comment

Welcome back!
        These haunts are a little quiet these days compared to 6yrs ago...
        All the plebs be on faceballs flashing dick pics, etc.

What headers do you have?

Comment

Just some crappy autobahn 88 but I got some extra welding done, it started to get a tiny crack in the gooch and filled that with exhaust cement that seemed to work. I don't actually use facebook anyway and don't do gay shit. Gotta admit the suspension on the mr2 is a much less brutal ride than the colt with Ad08r hard sidewall 17's.

Comment

Ah yeah, got one of those autobahns too lol. Also cracked so it's sitting on the shelf waiting repairs/reflange to suit wrx turbo. I find it interesting/funny you went from a boxster back to a colt. My step father has a boxster that he never drives. Currently a shed queen in my sisters house. Such a waste.

Comment

It's strange really the amount of purchase decisions for a car just for the looks. The Boxster S 987 is drop dead gorgeous and goes hard but it chews petrol when driven hard and you always have that"oh shit what if something breaks" feeling knowing you will be up for 10 grand. So the colt does not match it for looks or quality but I think it does in reliability and matches it it for driver fun and cornering (with mods). Beats it for running and purchase costs hands down. Cant handle the thought of 40k just sitting in the garage

Comment

A Porsche boxter *should* handle better all things being equal (tires suspension etc). But agree with the sentiment. For me the decision process was a) buy a colt, do some mods, hit a few events and enjoy being an enthusiast and if something breaks being financially able to fix it, vs b) buy something twice the price, modding it half as much or not at all, and missing out on a lot of the experience.

Plus denting egos in a colt is priceless :-)

Comment

• later
                  later commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You could keep up with a Boxster S though some twisty mountain roads with a colt (lowered spings/swaybar/good power mods and of course AD08R') as its 245kg lighter and in my case the Colt has 305nm betweem 1800rpm to 5500rpm, and the Porsche has 340nm peak at high revs. I have to say though at high speed is the Porsche's forte and 200kM/H it's a hoot with the roof down. The new ones have a turbo but I don't want to spend 130k on a car.
              Working...
              X