Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 130 - 140kw??

Ok

I want to get 130 kw plus out of the motor, not at the wheels, just at the motor, but anyone got any great ideas about how best to do this? And what approx costs are involved??

Just curious for some input, as i am a newbie to all this!!!

noob at this myself bunny , but a few mods would be needed including, exhaust upgrade, intake upgrade, ECU and dyno/retune by a pro!. (Im getting these done pretty early this year and will let all know how it goes!)

I do recall a post where someone said one of the guys in Singapore is running his RColt close to 200kw??? so who knows what is possible?

personally 160+kw at the wheels would be nice!

I'd be interested to know if an all wheel drive upgrade would be possible and would it be of much benefit?, or would it just burn of too much power from our little motors???

Comment

dont hold your breath for an awd option. lol
      it would be a very great improvement, but the parts and engineering involved, you would need a rally crew and alot of cash to make it happen.

Comment

Not to mention the pain in the ass of getting it properly engineered, plus the cost of the exercise itself, would be cheaper to sell the colt and go out and buy a second hand evo5-6 for ~$25000-$35000.

Comment

i was looking at the pics of the CVT that was made 4wd, and well you will need a whole IRS rear end, and not the tortion beam set up we have.

But 130-140 kw at the wheels is fairly easy.

Ralliart or K&N filter, with extra cold air pipe like steve-b has. ($200)

Full Turbo Back exhaust 2.5" the whole way and high flow cats. ($2000)

Boost Controler, like steve-b has. ($150)

IMO that should give about 110-120kw at the wheels easy.

Why? well as we all know our exhaust is quite restrictive, i think a decent turbo back exhaust with high flow cats would be good for a 20kw gain. And guys are already dynoing cars with 90-95kw at the wheels

Comment

Woops, nearly forgot, I think the 6 main things I would do to get better performance out of my colt include:

1. aftermarket ECU or re-flash original unit - it allows flexibility in tuning & can be altered when other mods are completed. Ultimately, the ECU will dictate whether or not you can perform other mods on the engine. You will probably find there are good gains to be found purely from doing this mod alone!

2. Exhaust system - maybe just replace the dump pipe from the turbo to the centre section retaining the factory cats, and replace the last restrictive section which gets crushed down to a smaller diameter at the muffler (also replace muffler). Ralliart have gone to the trouble to make a reasonably good system for our colts, but are obviously restricted by drive-by noise and other emmisions testing. Do the air filter at the same time!

3. LSD - if you want the most out of your colt (or venture onto the track at all) , then you will probably run the colt without the traction control on to gain as much power as possible. Unfortuntely, as the rcolt has an open front diff, it relies on the traction control & its sticky Yokohamas to prevent wheelspin coming out of corners. Therefore, to gain as much grip as possible, an LSD would be a good buy, but also reasonably expensive.

4. Rear swaybar (preferably adjustable) - will us to dial some of the understeer out, but not so much to allow the rear end to snap out!

5. Lower springs/shocks - get that colt down to the ground where it belongs, unless you intend to do some rallying soon! Stiffens up ride, reduces some body roll, better turn in, lower centre of gravity.

6. Quick shifter - gets rid of that awful hole between 1st & 2nd gear, allows more precise shifting, and less gear crunching!

Comment

Ill have an order of 2,4,5, and 6 thanks Coro.

Obviously his list would contain about about $8000 worth of work

IMO it would be as follows

1 $1000
              2 $2000
              3 $3000 or more
              4 $300 If some company made them.
              g $300-500 depends if you want them installed or not
              6 $210 RPW site sponser, dont bother with the standard one, go stright for rally spec.

Comment

hmmmz let me see

130kw = 174hp
                140kw = 187.75hp

160kw = 214.5hp

hmmmzzz hmmmzzzzz hmmmmzzz

heres what you need

1) get rid of the stock air filer ( replace with something better)
                2) add some sort of boost controller
                3) this is the hard part either reflash the ecu or piggy it

you will hit 180hp easy on motor.

Comment

Speaking of swaybars, Steve, have you arrange for a time with whiteline to develop a swaybar at all (still close to Christmas I know!)?

Comment

Originally posted by Corosith View Post
                    Woops, nearly forgot, I think the 6 main things I would do to get better performance out of my colt include:

1. aftermarket ECU or re-flash original unit - it allows flexibility in tuning & can be altered when other mods are completed. Ultimately, the ECU will dictate whether or not you can perform other mods on the engine. You will probably find there are good gains to be found purely from doing this mod alone!

2. Exhaust system - maybe just replace the dump pipe from the turbo to the centre section retaining the factory cats, and replace the last restrictive section which gets crushed down to a smaller diameter at the muffler (also replace muffler). Ralliart have gone to the trouble to make a reasonably good system for our colts, but are obviously restricted by drive-by noise and other emmisions testing. Do the air filter at the same time!

3. LSD - if you want the most out of your colt (or venture onto the track at all) , then you will probably run the colt without the traction control on to gain as much power as possible. Unfortuntely, as the rcolt has an open front diff, it relies on the traction control & its sticky Yokohamas to prevent wheelspin coming out of corners. Therefore, to gain as much grip as possible, an LSD would be a good buy, but also reasonably expensive.

4. Rear swaybar (preferably adjustable) - will us to dial some of the understeer out, but not so much to allow the rear end to snap out!

5. Lower springs/shocks - get that colt down to the ground where it belongs, unless you intend to do some rallying soon! Stiffens up ride, reduces some body roll, better turn in, lower centre of gravity.

6. Quick shifter - gets rid of that awful hole between 1st & 2nd gear, allows more precise shifting, and less gear crunching!
                    OK Now just to reveal the extent of my noobness...

What i think you are suggesting with the exhaust is that instead of replacing the whole thing, which costs around $2G, just replace certain parts. How much do you think it would cost to replace those certain parts? Umm which air filter?!?!

Where would a rear swaybar be installed?

Quick shifter isn't really an option for me, i have T-rex arms, they are really short for my height (6 ft 4 inches) so i literally need a longer shift!! damn genetics!!! (I need some good "arm mods" extensions or something)

Has anyone done an ECU flash successfully without getting the limp home effect??

Comment

short shifter, isnt really "shorter in height" they just shorten the throw between gears, judging on other RPW shifters it would only be 1" lower.

Rear sway bar is attached to the rear suspention

Yes, people have flashed the ecu with no problems, but i dont think in australia, and all details on the flashes is some what patchy.

Replace the stock air intake filter with a ralliart or K&N unit

You could replace say the turbo dump pipe and 2 cats, but no one mass produces the parts yet.

this shows the difference between the two.
                      http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...4082007001.jpg

Comment

A noob question, I'm afraid, but what is the difference between a short shifter and a long shifter? Is it just the length of the stick that you grab, or is it something to do with the shift pattern or the gearbox itself?

Comment

I just noticed Macca kind of answered my question in his last post... but I'm still not 100% clear on the concept.

Comment

A true short shifter, will reduce the distance between the gears, eg when you move from 1st to 2nd say the gear knob will move 4 inches, a shirt shifter will reduce that movement to 2.5" (as a random example)

the rpw rallyspec short shift will reduce the forward and backward movement and ALSO the left and eight movement.

A cheep item will only shorten the forward and backward movement.

So there is nothing changed inside the gear box, as our gear shifter uses cables to some levers on the gear box, RPW make the mechanical leverage on the stock shifter different, thus making the movement in shifting shorter.

Now when they make these changes, the actual height of the gear knob will also become 1" lower due to the changes they make.

Comment

well so far I have done some of the mods listed

Exhaust
                              BOV
                              Air Filter

and there is a noticeable increase in power

I havent had it dyno'd yet...will leave that till there is an ecu mod ready and then I'll have the whole thing tuned and dyno'd

Comment

Working...
                              X