X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Guide

I know there's info scattered about the forum but as my clutch has started slipping just a little bit I think it might be worthwhile to start up a thread to collect info on all things clutch related.

For myself I'll be looking at the replacement options but I'm sure there's other issues around for the whole clutch system on the RColt that hopefully will get posted in here.

actually slip or whine?

Comment

There is only a few clutch issues, The well documented one with noise and groaning

The few guys with a heap more power who have killed the stock one

Only replacements know to us is either OEM or extreme clutchs

Comment

if your talking about grouning or whine on take off, dont worry about it its normal and there is nothing you can do to fix it and your clutch is fine its got somthing to do with pressure plate.

SG colts run 350 hp on stock clutches, just dont abuse them

as maccas said xtreme or OEM. AP also make one but you would need to look into further

Comment

It's slipping, comes on boost and starts to slip/flare.
          i know about the whining etc - not worried about that.

So far I've got info on OEM, Extreme and just waiting on some more info regarding a custom Exedy HD set-up.
          Exedy also make a std replacement kit that comes with friction plate, pressure plate & thrust bearing for $430inc. When I get more details on the others I'll post.
          I know the std clutch can handle reasonable power but my car is 2nd hand (70k klms) and after serving duties as a 'promotional' car it's not much of a leap to assume that the clutch has most likely been abused.

Comment

warranty?

Comment

paul has got the xtreme clutch. its pretty brutal.

Comment

Yeah well, no joy on the custom Exedy. They only do an OEM replacement and I'm not sure if it's for the Turbo or the N/A Colt.

Apparently Extreme have upgraded their clutch from what is on the website. It's now a 50% increase in clamp load and it's a 6 button ceramic jobbie @ $660 with no thrust bearing in the kit.
                I'll be checking OEM next.

No joy with the warranty side of things. Tried that when the clutch started making all the noises and they want $500 just to look at it. That being said, if it's shagged then they wop one in but it's all at my expense of course. they told me i had to go to a Rallirt dealer and with the klms I have they reckon they wouldn't cover it under warranty anyway - wear and tear according to them.

Comment

matt did some shit with xtreme and only brought certain parts then got the rest made at local clutch shop and it was like 400 total

Comment

FMD...
                    Genuine Mitsubishi is $920 for the pressure plate, friction plate and thrust bearing assy...
                    Wow, gives a lot of options.

Looks like I'll be trawling through here to find Daed's stockist for his replacement.
                    Prolly also even start looking around JDM sites to see what's available.

Comment

Originally posted by odysseyesm View Post
                      Apparently Extreme have upgraded their clutch from what is on the website. It's now a 50% increase in clamp load and it's a 6 button ceramic jobbie @ $660 with no thrust bearing in the kit.
                      I'll be checking OEM next..
                      could we get away with using the thrust bearing from the stock assem? 660 isnt to bad at all considering its basically a racing clutch.

Comment

True that - but I don't really want to have to use a racing clutch in a daily driver...
                        Anyone got any feedback on what the extreme clutch is like to live with in a daily?

Dunno the $$ breakdown for the OEM arm/bearing assy from Mitsi - def an option tho.

Extreme is on my way home from work, so I'll drop in and have a chat hopefully.

Comment

only slightly heavier than stock IMO, that was from driving Pauls car

Comment

Originally posted by odysseyesm View Post
                            FMD...
                            Genuine Mitsubishi is $920 for the pressure plate, friction plate and thrust bearing assy...
                            Wow, gives a lot of options.

Looks like I'll be trawling through here to find Daed's stockist for his replacement.
                            Prolly also even start looking around JDM sites to see what's available.
                            Pfffft - $920, no wonder Mitsubishi makes no money! Check the link below, you can get the whole Sachs shooting match for under $340, not including postage and I'm sure postage is not going to cost $600+! The guy is actually a member on here (Kenobi), just need to make sure psrt no.s are the same but should be the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Co...item4aa5a08528

Comment

Extreme clutches also mentions that they can upgrade or repair sachs clutches on their website, might get away with a rebuild?

Comment

Working...
                              X