Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost restrictor "pills"

Hi guys,

Here is a bit of a run down in regards to removing the restrictor "pills" on the 8MR and IX Evolutions. I am unsure if the Colt has a similar setup, however if anyone has any spare time, run through this DIY and see if you can find the "pill".

You will need to find the boost solenoid and squeeze the rubber lines to see if any of these restrictors are evident.

Here is the work through - http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/in...&hl=restrictor

You may need to register in order to view.

I would give this a bash myself, however I don't have access to the car until Sunday.

This mod (on the evo's) increases boost pressure by 2-3psi without spikes. Could this be the TMR mod?

Let me know if anyone has any success.

I can confirm the Colt has a restrictor pill fitted. Removal of this restrictor will definitely increases the boost level proportionally and end up matching the factory curve exactly, but just at a higher level.

For those not wanting to do the work themselves, if I had had enough demand RPW would buy a stock solenoid from the Colt, modify it and provide it as an exchange unit. Total exchange price would be around $90.00 plus core charge and freight.

Is this something people would be interested in? Looks stock, easy to fit and you would just return your original unit back to us for the next person?

Comment

yeah thats what it is but the reson people got it is so they have warrenty

Comment

What if you were to remove restrictor completely?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsiman View Post
          I can confirm the Colt has a restrictor pill fitted. Removal of this restrictor will definitely increases the boost level proportionally and end up matching the factory curve exactly, but just at a higher level.

For those not wanting to do the work themselves, if I had had enough demand RPW would buy a stock solenoid from the Colt, modify it and provide it as an exchange unit. Total exchange price would be around $90.00 plus core charge and freight.

Is this something people would be interested in? Looks stock, easy to fit and you would just return your original unit back to us for the next person?
          So why don't you remove the restrictor when you do your exhaust upgrade.. or did you already do that? If you were down 15kpa because of the new exhaust (approx 2PSI) then removal of the restrictor + your exhaust should = more HP shouldn't it?

Comment

could this be the YR Advance replacement solenoid?

Comment

The first reason why we didn't remove it on our R&D testing is we wanted to do one change at a time, and catalogue the results.

Secondly, there was no use increasing boost until the car could be tuned properly to rectify the rich tune on the car.

Obviously our next lot of mods on the vehicle will include the removal of the restrictor and we will catalogue exactly what it does to the car.

YEs I imagine the solenoid replacement is the same thing as removing the restrictor in your stock solenoid. Same result.

Comment

We're bouncing between two threads about the same thing here, I'll just post in the other thread from now on

Comment

there is a pill in the line from the wastegate to the solenoid. banned wasnt talking about replacing the solenoid. the solenoid from YR comes with different lines from what ive seen that they have tested. I wouldnt presume to know the diametres and etc that make the mod successful and dont have then time to R&D it myself.

Comment

Man I am taken back to the 200sx boost mods. Japanese car makers must all follow the same formula for making boost control systems. Anyone got a pic of the line with the restrictor in it?

Comment

its just a line restrictor in the line. like a metal washer inside the rubber tube.

Comment

So If we were to replace this line with one without a restrictor... what kind of results would we get? Just higher boost?

Comment

i havent been running one with my mbc.

Comment

Removal of the restrictor will increase your boost level by X amount across the board with no other changes.

Comment

Looks to me like the restrictor is in the solenoid. Is this right Mitsiman?

We would need you or a jap shop to "mod" the solenoid, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X