X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbosmart Manual Boost Controller Installation

I’ve installed a Turbosmart Boost Controller on my RColt and I must say it makes quite a difference. As can be seen by the dyno graph the car boosts higher, creates more power and lots more torque.

http://users.tpg.com.au/bronko/pics/...s_20080204.JPG

I had the car dynoed on a rolling road dyno (not a hub dyno) and unusual for Melbourne the temperature was in the low 30’s and 60% humidity for the runs. So I’m pretty comfortable the car will crack 100kw in more favourable conditions.

We did 6 runs in total. The first 2 runs were baseline to get standard readings. Other than the Turbosmart Boost Controller I’ve got a K&N pod filter installed. The car got to 94.2kw on the 2nd run – this is the red line on the dyno graph.

Then we installed the boost controller. The best run was the 5th (blue line) with the closet being the 6th run shortly after (not on this graph but produced 98.4kw – probably some heat soak happening hence the lower figure).

To get the ideal boost setting we tried simulating overboost by holding the revs at 3000rpm & 3500rpm, then flooring it each time and then letting it spin rite out to 6800rpm. The CEL didn’t come on on the dyno and hasn’t yet after nearly 2 weeks even though the boost spikes at .91bar according to the dyno graph.

It is interesting to note the boost drops off after approx 3600rpm and will not stay above .8bar no matter what we did. We even ran the boost line straight to the wastegate actuator (by passing the T piece down their, it made a little more boost but only just). It is the same thing 1MinuteMan experienced in the Our Stock Wastegate thread. The guys reckon bending the wastegate lever will help it stay on boost more but I don’t want to go there.

We also did 1 run with the boost set to 1.2bar just to see what the car did (only went to 4000rpm on this run with no CEL) and it didn’t really make that much more power than the other runs. Just dumped heaps of fuel into the car – so upping the boost rite up with the standard ECU won’t work and the boost drops off in the same way also.

The air/fuel ratio figures are interesting too. The standard runs showed the ratios were pretty much spot on. With the boost set to where it is now (runs 5 & 6), it is running a fraction leaner but nothing to worry about. On each run I watched for black smoke from the exhaust and other than when the fuel cutout hits at 6800rpm something, there was no smoke.

Interesting to compare this to the RPW Dump Pipe R&D Program thread (the next mod I’d like to do is the whole exhaust) and the air/fuel ratio problems they have been getting their – maybe the pod filter on my RColt makes the car run better? Or maybe it’s just the air in WA? Who knows.

When you drive the car the turbo hiss and BOV noises are much louder now. But the torque build up from 2500rpm on is awesome – the car really slingshots forward. Beforehand wheelspin was a problem in 1st gear but controllable, now unless the road is smooth and downhill/flat it spins up too easily. Lots of torque steer in 1st & 2nd gears too (not silly like a Mazda 3 MPS, but getting close).

All I can say is fun, fun, fun!

Cheers

good work can you post pics of the solinoid set up

Comment

nice one Trickster cheers for the write up

Comment

nice result mate !

about a 6kw gain for $100 boost tee. seems like a good mod

Comment

Got a movie of one of the later runs - you'll need quicktime installed to see it. Enjoy

http://users.tpg.com.au/bronko/pics/MOV00166.3GP

Yes you need ear muffs as it gets loud and I'm the bald guy in the white shirt

Comment

G'day,

Thanks for doing the complete write up (especially the dyno graph). It puts your mind at rest knowing that somebody has done the install (which plenty of people have) but showing a dyno proven gain. It's good to see you mentioned air/fuel mix too.. answers the other question about the engine being lean @ high rpm.

I'm now certain I'll do this mod having seen dyno'd proof there is a gain.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the write up, it reads very well and its good to know the air/fuel ratios stay in the right area. If you can manage it I would be interested in seeing pics of the set up for the boost controller.

Cheers

Comment

so its a t boost controller i thought you got an ebc to work sorry

Comment

Hey guys, should have made this clear from the beinging, it's a Turbosmart manual boost controller.

Tried taking some photos tonite but the flash on the camera makes everything too bright. I'll take some happy snaps of the boost controller and plumbing on the weekend during the day.

Cheers

Comment

so you would have ran it inline with the standard solinoid wouldnt you? like i have

Comment

Not sure what you mean by inline but the factory boost solenoid is blocked off and not doing anything (the inlet pipe goes straight to the outlet pipe). It's still got power though as people have said unplugging it brings the CEL up. Cheers

Comment

trickster is there any chance that you could post some pics of the way you set your boost tee up. i am assuming you have it set up from a hose before the throttle body and then have the other end connected to the wastegate. ?

Comment

omgosh...i really should of taken pics of mine when i did it. Its been explained so many times...lol

Comment

I think the confusion is because of the amount of hoses that look the same, similar diameters and lack of understanding of how the system works. That's the boat I'm in at the moment, a sticky thread with a photo story in 'modifications' would stop people asking. (and avoid bad things happening)

Comment

ill take some of the way i have done my install tomoz and then put it in a thread and then people can post up what they have done as well

Comment

Working...
                              X