X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results and Information on RPW Stage 1 Tune

Well as everyone knows, the stage 1 tune is being tested now by Bunny Bash. I am going to leave him with it for a week to ensure no possible issues but by the sounds of it, he has not let the car come off boost since he's had it.

Here is information on the Stage 1 Flash Tune which we will be making available over the next two weeks to everyone. Hopefully it will answer all questions but if it doesn't ask away.

First thing first - what's in the tune?

1. RPM Limiter increased to 7500 rpm.
    2. Fuel changes to stop the excessive richness of the factory tune at higher boost levels
    3. Boost changes - boost is increased from 2500 - 4000 rpm to 18 - 22 psi (Depending upon driving conditions) Ie throttle load, throttle movement, air temperature etc
    4. Boost is flattened out from 4000 rpm onwards to the max capabilities of the stock waste gate actuator
    5. Mild ignition timing changes
    6. Removal of CEL Codes - P1235, P1241 are the main two, there's around 5 in total but there all gone.
    7. Lean Spool on the fuel curve has been turned off - this stops the leaning out at high load / low rpm that is renowned in all model Mitsubishi Turbo cars.
    8. Turned off rear o2 sensor Emission's Check - stop that nasty CEL from the fitment of high flow cat converters in the front pipe.
    9. Increased boost limiter settings
    10. Tweaks to the drive by wire throttle maps - bringing 100% throttle on earlier and faster and making it generally more responsive.
    11. 25 - 30hp improvement at the wheels
    12. 20 - 30ft/pd torque improvement at the wheels
    13. Fitment of VTA Blow off valves can now be done - as tested on this vehicle without repercussions.

Other Information to know

There are two levels of Stage 1 Tune - with and without Boost controller.

1. Fitment of a GrimmSpeed 3 Port Boost Control Solenoid. Direct plug and play fitment just remove the stock one and bolts right into the same spot. Same plug as factory harness. No wiring changes to be made, This system is superior to the stock system by being much better at boost control.
    2. Use of factory setup - this will be tweaked to max values possible of the stock system without changing the boost pill.
    3. Due to boost increases, the stock plastic BOV will bleed boost off too fast. A Metal Unit either aftermarket or EVO MR is required to hold stable boost levels

Stage 2 tunes will be available for those wanting to run much higher boost levels with boost pills or the same 3 port set-up but in order to do so, you will also need to change the waste gate actuator due to the fact the stock one is maxed out.

Who will this tune suit?

This will suit everyone, no matter what modifications are on the car. From those with Adaptronic units, any level of modifications. This is more the base tune that all future tunes will start from. Allows you to finally, have a modified colt and be able to drive it. The factory tune is very very flexible and will compensate for the majority of modifications, even including turbo manifolds.

Below are the dyno graphs showing results of this tune. This tune will suit all forms of intercoolers from stock to FMIC units, mostly because with the current ignition timing the vehicle is running, its virtually impossible to damage anything. It really is that conservative.

This will be available for sale in the next few weeks, but any Perth owners can start coming through our shop as of next week and we can start flashing it onto there vehicles. Below are average prices

(1) Stage 1 Flash Tune - $100.00
    (2) GrimmSpeed 3 Port Solenoid - $195.00
    (3) Labour for fitment of Solenoid - $110.00 (1 hour average to fit up)

For those customers who were part of the original donation fund - the cost of the tune will be reduced down to $25.00. Since you have already paid $50.00.

Eastern States customers we will be finalising something over next week so more information will follow on this soon.

Final information

This tune cannot just be flashed onto any vehicle as we dont' know how many other model roms there are out there. You will need to get the rom read from the vehcle first and identify it, and if necessary, make new definition files as new ones appear. If your rom code is different, you cannot flash this tune on it as it may have disastrous results.

Please do not discuss where to flash, rom files etc - there are other areas to discuss those questions and we will move / delete them from this one. Lets keep this one clean and focused on purely about questions relating purely to the stage 1 flash tune only in terms of performance, results and as the future progresses, peoples opinions of the tune.

Note : once we get a vehicle in with stock boost system we will finalise the tune for a stock boost pill setup. Although we highly recommend for everyone, go the 3 port solenoid setup as it brings boost on much faster, earlier and is more controllable.

More information about the vehicle that this was performed on

The vehicle in question had the following modifications

1. RPW Cat Back Exhaust System
    2. RPW Front pipe Version 1
    3. RPW Turbo Exhaust Housing - Version 1
    4. XR6 Front Mount Intercooler
    5. Stock Air box with K&N Panel Filter
    6. VTA (Vent to Atmosphere) BOV fitted due to stock plastic unit bleeding pressure off and that was the only one we had in stock

The first thing is compared to stock Colts with stock intercoolers, there was a definite increase in turbo lag, even with the 3 port solenoid fitted for boost control. This is purely because of the larger capacity unit and pipe work resulting in the turbo having to fill up all that piping before it could pressurise the engine intake manifold. I am not certain but I don't believe the vehicle in the comparison dyno run provided, had the intercooler upgrade fitted at that time when tuned.

Running more boost on the colt, in stock or even with a stage 1 tune, at this time is of no benefit. The factory ignition mapping system is very retarded and very low. We ran as high as 25psi at some points but made no extra power, especially as the dyno shows peak power is arrived at the 6000 rpm range. We are working now on more disassembly of the ROM coding to get a better understanding of how the ignition timing is calculated and once we do, then serious power can be provided.

Comment

i know you answered this before Dave but i just want to double check, so theres absolutely no way of running a full atmosphere BOV? even with the reflash?

Comment

First post amended - yes with this tune a VTA BOV can be fitted. As we tested on bunny's vehicle

Comment

Dave, is the boost taper due to the stock actuator spring not able to hold the gate shut?

With a forge actuator in place, do you think a steady 18Psi will hold?

Also are all factory engine protection maps still in place, ie knock control. So if I get a bad batch of fuel, factory compensation takes over?

Comment

All indications appear thats what the probelm is so far as I have the boost solenoid runing 100% duty cycle after 5500 rpm and can't get any extra boost.

All saftey features are still working except torque protection. Boost limits, knock sensor etc all retained.

Comment

Awesome news Dave, I can't wait to have this done to my car Any ideas when this will be available (a similar tune to bunny's car, as I will have very similar mods) in QLD? Cheers.

Comment

Hi mate. With stock actuator in my EDM colt as soon as the revs rise to 4.000rpm it holds 1.0-1.1bar and then drops at 5.000rpm to 1bar. From 5.000 to 6.750 it goes down to 0.8bar. From that point it goes back to 0.5bar (rev limiter). I have 203hp at 6500rpm. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_88 View Post
                  Hi mate. With stock actuator in my EDM colt as soon as the revs rise to 4.000rpm it holds 1.0-1.1bar and then drops at 5.000rpm to 1bar. From 5.000 to 6.750 it goes down to 0.8bar. From that point it goes back to 0.5bar (rev limiter). I have 203hp at 6500rpm. Cheers
                  mods?

Comment

The EDM colts run much better ignition maps than do our Australian colts. And there ignition mapping is far less complicated, hence why the produce better power (Currently) than the Australian colts. It is not surprising that they are matching the power output of our colts on less boost.

Comment

couple of questions mitsiman.

is the 20-30 hp increase in reference to bunnys car? and if so, will the same increases by observed on a more stock example? and would you suggest a same amount of modifications be carried out in order to acheive a similar power output or would a more agressive tune net a similar output?

is there any way to keep the lean spool present? or is there really no point, as the spool is only a few hundred rpm later?

Comment

boredboi just took the scotchy out for a spin... i think he is going to post his opinion on here soon...

Comment

YEs just took the yellow beast for a spin, and heres my opinion, the power delivery is extremely smooth, 20psi excellent feeling, i think the best thing is that it makes the car rev so much harder and more smooth with the rev limiter , and the power difference is WORLDS APART especially the torque going up hills so much difference i have the same mods as bunny and he has a reflash just really unleash the power and potential that the colt has.....

ill definitely recommend this to all COLT OWNERS ill be doing my reflash very soon as soon as i sort of some of my stuff......

P.S AFTER DRIVING BUNNYS COLT THEN GOING BACK TO MINE REALLY MAKES MY COLT FEEL SO N/A!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT STAGE 2 OFFERS!!!

Comment

Mitsiman, wiil the Tactrix 3 port boost solenoid for sale on Tactrix's site be suitable considering it should plug directly into most mitsubishis? Just thought of ordering this whilst ordering other cables. I also gather the TMR mod will be redundant considering the solenoid will be replaced, although their may have also been some adjustment of the wastegate actuator, if so, I'm guessing I could also leave it set up as is.

Comment

Originally posted by KanaL View Post
                              couple of questions mitsiman.

is the 20-30 hp increase in reference to bunnys car? and if so, will the same increases by observed on a more stock example? and would you suggest a same amount of modifications be carried out in order to acheive a similar power output or would a more agressive tune net a similar output?

is there any way to keep the lean spool present? or is there really no point, as the spool is only a few hundred rpm later?
                              You can keep the lean spool but it doesn't on the colt make any significant difference in terms of boost curve, but it does dramatically alter the fuel curve. With eveyrone know starting to boost it up harder, and earlier compared to stock setups, lean spool is not recomended as you are boosting hard right where the lean spool was enabled and not needed.

The HP gain will be fairly consistant with most vehicles with similiar mods. Vehicles with lesser mods will see less gains, but the beauty of the stage 1 tune is the car can be modified to grow into the tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X