X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock ECU throttle response improvement

I was complaining about stock ECU slow throttle response in another thread when Rcus replied

Originally posted by Rcus View Post
    That's quite interesting. Do you still experience it as horrible if you disconnect clutch pedal switch?
    I finally tried this more thoroughly today and throttle response feels much better. Biggest problem to me was throttle hang, when you release the pedal throttle body does not follow immediately. This causes revs to shoot up during fast up-shifting and worse yet it's very hard to control wheel spin on track especially when it's slippery. It's bit like driving with very high mass flywheel that slows down engine response.

Clutch pedal ECU sensor disconnected throttle release is fast like it should be. I didn't notice too much difference othewise.

Are there any issues or problems using this method? It would be probably better to tune ECU tables for pedal up situation but they don't seem to be well known at the moment.

Hey Ast, this is interesting. I find the exact same thing and your description:

Originally posted by ast View Post
    This causes revs to shoot up during fast up-shifting and worse yet it's very hard to control wheel spin on track especially when it's slippery. It's bit like driving with very high mass flywheel that slows down engine response.
    ​Is exactly how it feels. When I track my rcolt at a local hillclimb, wheelspin seems frustratingly impossible to control. I've driven a lot of cars, and never found wheelspin as hard to modulate as in my rcolt.

I had been blaming boost control for it, as well as not having an lsd. In addition I've been questioning my seemingly too heavy right foot!

I'll test this out on the weekend. Really hopeful this makes a difference.

In terms of other settings..I cant think of much impact other than the car won't use the transient load ignition map (may get more shift knock), and things like stationary rev limit & NLTS won't work.

I'm surprised that disconnecting the clutch sensor helps throttle control when clutch is not being used? From a logical perspective I don't get why this would be implemented by Mitsubishi. Unless there's a 'clutch was pressed X milliseconds ago, limit throttle for another X seconds'. What do you think the ECU is doing?

Comment

I have anyways set all of the ignition maps the same so transient load maps don't matter to me.

I did a wet trackday with the sensor disconnected. Car felt much better and was more controllable, but it may be a bit too responsive. Optimum to me would be a bit damped compared to sensor disconnected. I was able to keep up with more powerful 4wd cars so it was not bad by any means I need to check the ECU code when I have time to find out what clutch switch actually does.

Comment

• Juri-1st
        Juri-1st commented
        Editing a comment
        There is also a device called "Sprintbooster" which is a Drive Throttle Controller. Would that help? I had one, when i had the stock turbo in my car but felt it was way to agressive. Now on the bigger 15T Hybrid i kind of regret selling it.

ECU limits throttle movement speed only when clutch pedal is released. Switch is grounded in released position and High-Z in depressed. When you disconnect the switch signal line goes to High-Z state.

Throttle stabilization algorithm is very sophisticated. It takes in account engine rpm, accelerator pedal position, gear, a/c etc.

Comment

For anyone that stumbles across this thread now.
        The plug on my 06 is a blue plug to the left of the clutch pedal. If you unplug a white one right above the clutch and your car won't turn on - you unplugged the wrong one.

I just unplugged mine after 10,000km of having it plugged in.
        Unplugged - it now takes less throttle(less effort) to rev match from 3rd to 2nd (i was so bad at it that i avoided downshifting from 3rd to 2nd lol)

You may need to time your shifts or watch your throttle and clutch control. Before you could WOT and shut off without the car jerking badly. If you go WOT now and shut it - it feels like you are going to break the engine mounts LOL
        Last edited by Richyo; 14-09-2016, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X