Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I really cannot believe the absolute rubbish that gets thrown around on this site in regards to modification of cars from so called "Experts".

In laymans terms:

- Bar & Plate = Better Flow, suited to high horsepower, short burst acceleration (ie; dragstrips), and cooler climates....... Not Australia.

- Tube & Fin = Bit more restrictive, but yields higher cooling capabilities for warmer climates, or prolonged acceleration.

This obviously depends on the quality of the core. A $140 chinese made Tube & Fin which is held together with tek screws vs a Bar & Plate of high quality (such as Garrett) negates the above comment.

Personally, in Australia, I go for a very high quality Tube & Fin core vs a similar quality Bar & Plate because I would rather lose a few KW's and keep temps down to ensure engine longevity. However, this may change once I've forged my motor.

Comment

Originally posted by XLD380 View Post
      Sometimes I really cannot believe the absolute rubbish that gets thrown around on this site in regards to modification of cars from so called "Experts".

In laymans terms:

- Bar & Plate = Better Flow, suited to high horsepower, short burst acceleration (ie; dragstrips), and cooler climates....... Not Australia.

- Tube & Fin = Bit more restrictive, but yields higher cooling capabilities for warmer climates, or prolonged acceleration.

This obviously depends on the quality of the core. A $140 chinese made Tube & Fin which is held together with tek screws vs a Bar & Plate of high quality (such as Garrett) negates the above comment.

Personally, in Australia, I go for a very high quality Tube & Fin core vs a similar quality Bar & Plate because I would rather lose a few KW's and keep temps down to ensure engine longevity. However, this may change once I've forged my motor.
      Not sure how you've come to this conclusion. From what is available Bar and plate, has always been a more efficient core, I'm talking about quality high fin density cores, ie Garrett/ETS.

The reason people have favored tube/fin on circuit cars traditionally, was simply due to the increased flow through the core to the radiator. This is chosen more as a function of combating a poor coolant system, rather than intercooler efficiently selection.

Fin density is everything and efficiency comes from this. I have never seen a tube/fin that is even 90% the fin density of a Garrett core. It's not rocket science, the more fins, the larger the surface area, the more efficiently it cools. The offset is higher pressure drops, which I'll happily take for better cooling efficiency.

Indy cars including the current izod series run Garrett cores,

That said, there are good and bad with both, and fit for purpose selection always runs true.

The only tube / fin style I've ever found to be good was from plazmaman, there still isn't enough room in the front of the colt to fit one big enough though.

Comment

Working...
      X