X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock vs FMIC

What is your experiences with a fmic compared to the stock one? Can the stock one handle 20psi of the stock turbo?

Pressure wise it'll handle it but it won't be able to cool the intake charge very well. It's just not big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by odysseyesm View Post
      Pressure wise it'll handle it but it won't be able to cool the intake charge very well. It's just not big enough.
      Yea its not very big, I wouldn't mind a bigger side mount myself

Comment

I've got a couple of I/Cs lying around which Corosith was looking to modify to suit a side mount option.
        I'll get some photos up and you guys can have a look.

Also got a modified XR6T I/C if peeps want it - check out my ride thread for pictures.

Comment

I've got a couple of I/Cs lying around which Corosith was looking to modify to suit a side mount option.
          I'll get some photos up and you guys can have a look.

Also got a modified XR6T I/C if peeps want it - check out my ride thread for pictures.
          Where can I see your pictures mate? I could find it in your profile

Comment

Originally posted by Colt View Post
            Where can I see your pictures mate? I could find it in your profile
            http://www.rcolt.com/showthread.php?...456#post112456

Comment

what do you guys think of the Forge intercooler kit for the colt

Comment

Originally posted by Colt View Post
                what do you guys think of the Forge intercooler kit for the colt
                Don't know any Oz Colt with one fitted, I think a few of the UK boys have them and they seem happy enough.

Regardless of the brand the general consensus is the 'Bar & Plate' type cores are more efficient than the 'fin & tube' type. The second type is more about cost of manufacture and usually comes as OEM equipment. The Bar and Plate type cores are usually for performance and cost more to manufacture.
                Basically for the same amount of power from your engine a 'bar & plate' type core will be smaller and more efficient than the 'fin & tube' type.
                That's assuming everything else in the system is all the same.
                Some OEM cores can be good quality like the Australian designed and built Ford XR6 Turbo - it uses a Garret Bar & Plate core. If you see an intercooler advertised as having a 'Garret Core' that's what they're talking about.

Garret have a big name in turbo and related technologies - pretty much at the forefront of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics etc since the early 1900's. They know their shit when it comes to intercoolers but you do have to pay for it.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_AiResearch

Comment

Don't know any Oz Colt with one fitted, I think a few of the UK boys have them and they seem happy enough.

Regardless of the brand the general consensus is the 'Bar & Plate' type cores are more efficient than the 'fin & tube' type. The second type is more about cost of manufacture and usually comes as OEM equipment. The Bar and Plate type cores are usually for performance and cost more to manufacture.
                  Basically for the same amount of power from your engine a 'bar & plate' type core will be smaller and more efficient than the 'fin & tube' type.
                  That's assuming everything else in the system is all the same.
                  Some OEM cores can be good quality like the Australian designed and built Ford XR6 Turbo - it uses a Garret Bar & Plate core. If you see an intercooler advertised as having a 'Garret Core' that's what they're talking about.

Garret have a big name in turbo and related technologies - pretty much at the forefront of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics etc since the early 1900's. They know their shit when it comes to intercoolers but you do have to pay for it.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_AiResearch
                  Thanks for the great info mate

Comment

Is it necessary to retune ecu once I've fitted a fmic? Also, would a fmic only make noticable improvement on higher revs, and bugger all difference at low end?

Comment

Originally posted by Fizz View Post
                      Is it necessary to retune ecu once I've fitted a fmic? Also, would a fmic only make noticable improvement on higher revs, and bugger all difference at low end?
                      FMIC on its own does bugger all on its own other than give you more lag and cooler air to the engine. Retune will be needed

Comment

I need a more efficient core. Ill definately get bar and plate.

Comment

Originally posted by 0dd0ne View Post
                          I need a more efficient core. Ill definately get bar and plate.
                          didn't you just get a new IC Set UP?

Comment

No retune needed. It normally raises the boost a little due to getting rid of restrictions in the pipe

Comment

i ran FMIC on stock tune for a few months... it's a necessity if you are playing around with boost imo

Comment

Working...
                              X