X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geebung71 View Post
    Thought I'd revive this topic as I've been doing a bit more research lately.
    Had a look at some of the more popular US and UK sites such as alcoholinjectionsystems.com, coolingmist.com, aquamist.co.uk and a few other which are listed in the document for which I have provided a the address below.
    http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html
    Have a read of the document if you are interested as I found it very informative compared to other sites and easy to understand as it’s written in layman’s terms. This particular company, "RB-racing", deal primarily in bikes and I believe that the systems that they have developed over time are probably more appropriate to my application mainly due to engine capacity and induction similarity. Most of the other sites deal with larger capacity applications so it’s hard to find relevant data. Towards the end of the doc is a table which you can use to identify the correct nozzle size using engine data, which in my case I sourced straight from my dyno readout. I am also interested in setting up a two solenoid/hobbs switch system so that I can simultaneously inject into the intake system and spray the intercooler for maximum charge air cooling effect. All of the parts needed can be sourced online i.e. Nozzles, switches, relays, coffee machine pumps etc. and although I haven’t totalled the costs up I'm confident that I can put something together for a whole lot less $$ than the systems marketed by the aforementioned sites.

Enjoy
    If your hitting 140wkw your close to maxing out your stock injectors and fuel pump anyways so either way you need rescale the injectors to run more power then a retune when you add the methanol setup so if you go straight to e85 you save the cost of the methanol system and not risk blowing your engine if the methanol system fails

Comment

be careful with meth injection.... can produce some weird results

http://raeleigh.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/meth.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by skyrex View Post
        It's just rescaling of injectors suitable to run e85 + re-mapping a/f tables accordingly also.
        Mate of mine is about to do it in his VR4 with stock ECU.
        E85 might be cheaper, but you use more/don't get as much range out of a tank...

Exactly. I know evo's can run duel fuel maps where you can drain the tank and go back to 98 by doing a weird sequence of events. Hold clutch in and crank three times or something. Dunno if the stock is capable of that.

I've heard mixed reports about how quickly e85 does burn in driving. Theoretically you should get less km a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by alba View Post
          be careful with meth injection.... can produce some weird results

http://raeleigh.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/meth.jpg

Like you wouldn't go there alba. You probably took that photo...

Comment

Originally posted by 0dd0ne View Post
            Exactly. I know evo's can run duel fuel maps where you can drain the tank and go back to 98 by doing a weird sequence of events. Hold clutch in and crank three times or something. Dunno if the stock is capable of that.

I've heard mixed reports about how quickly e85 does burn in driving. Theoretically you should get less km a tank.
            I think what be more interesting is the hi and low octane maps on the colts ecu can be adjusted to run caltex ethanol that can range from e70 to e85 since caltex is the easiest place to get the fuel

Comment

If you do not put in a flex fuel sensor, that will in theory only work if you take an ethanol tester and test every batch of fuel you put in and adjust the map accordingly, but in practice, I have only read of Caltex Bio E-Flex being E70, not E85.

Comment

Originally posted by steel View Post
                If you do not put in a flex fuel sensor, that will in theory only work if you take an ethanol tester and test every batch of fuel you put in and adjust the map accordingly, but in practice, I have only read of Caltex Bio E-Flex being E70, not E85.
                doesn't its change depending on the climate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobster View Post
                  If your hitting 140wkw your close to maxing out your stock injectors and fuel pump anyways so either way you need rescale the injectors to run more power then a retune when you add the methanol setup so if you go straight to e85 you save the cost of the methanol system and not risk blowing your engine if the methanol system fails
                  I am not after more power (read my previous comment). I am not changing injectors etc so no re-tune or scaling required hence IF something in WATER injection system fails there is no issue because everything else carries on as it is now. The engine has no issues atm but I would bet that due to still running with OEM IC, on very hot days with high boost the factory ECU will be pulling back the ignition timing to control knock (which reduces power). Basically the water injection is a simple method to control that and nothing else.

Comment

Steve - did SKR mention anything about injector scaling?
                    I wanna put some bigger ones in mine, maybe it'll work out cheaper for the two of us to hit him up?

Think there was a water/meth nice toon setup on Autospeed somewhere, I'll have a look and post the link if I see it.

Comment

Na. no discussion with SKR to date regarding injectors. Not on the cards atm. Yes Autospeed does discuss it and a lot of other good topics as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Geebung71 View Post
                        I am not after more power (read my previous comment). I am not changing injectors etc so no re-tune or scaling required hence IF something in WATER injection system fails there is no issue because everything else carries on as it is now. The engine has no issues atm but I would bet that due to still running with OEM IC, on very hot days with high boost the factory ECU will be pulling back the ignition timing to control knock (which reduces power). Basically the water injection is a simple method to control that and nothing else.
                        or just drop the boost... sounds like a massive and expensive fuck around for something simple.

Comment

yeah. that was option 1. just means a trip back to the tuner as i dont have the gear to do it myself. proly the best option long term too.

Comment

Originally posted by 0dd0ne View Post

Now you mention dual maps, he also mentioned that too with the VR4 ECU, they can apparently run 3 maps via a switch DIY'd in somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X