X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoon Sports (Japan) Rigid Collar subframe kit

For those that want to get serious with chassis alignment, Spoon have diversified their range to makes other than Honda, with the version R colt now added to the line up:

http://www.rigidcollar.jp/?mode=srh&...8%2C0&keyword=

And a video explaining the concept in more detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyUD6UXfog

Available for front and rear sub-frames, they're pretty exccy (circa $250 each for each kit).

The blog: colt ver r about half way down with pics to give ya the idea of where they are placed:

http://blog.rigidcollar.jp/?month=201107

Comment

Looked interesting. Anyone wanna try

Comment

Interesting concept, looks simple to fit but certainly a bit pricey at around $500 for a few aluminium pieces (paying for the engineering concept versus the materials I guess). Nice find!

I'll try Ryan, (if you provide and pay for them - lol).

Comment

can somebody explain what exactly it is they are doing to the car?

i see a bunch of photos and some japanese text...

Comment

look at the video link for english explaination

Nice try Chris

Comment

cant watch the video. might later.

hey ryan what time you getting there on sat?

Comment

The collars are meant to align the chassis bolts to the frame and solidify the link, making less than flush opposing mating surfaces flush and therefore creating a truly mated bond. The vid explains it quite well, easy enough for me to understand haha.

Comment

They're effectively blueprinting the chassis/body/suspension alignment. Mass production involves a bunch of allowable tolerances on assemblies so that they go together (by robots or people) easier and faster.
                  These bushes basically align the chassis/body/suspension to match the original mitsubishi design dimensions. They're aiming for less body flex to make it handle just that little bit better. The theory being that if two cars have had thousands spent on coliovers, tyres, rims, chassis braces etc but only one has these things fitted then it'll handle slightly better all other things being equal. They do work but if you can't be bothered checking the tyre pressures on a regular basis then shelling out for these things is a waste.

Comment

The website stated only for CVT model.

Comment

Mounting points should all be the same, can't see why this would be exclusively for the CVT model?

Comment

I like to believe so coz I like this part too. But who can doubt Spoon Sport?

Only reason I can think of is that they R&D the part using a CVT model and they wouldn’t wanna risk their reputation just in case MT model can’t fit.

Originally posted by Corosith View Post
                        Mounting points should all be the same, can't see why this would be exclusively for the CVT model?

Comment

Put it this way, Mitsubishi spend millions on developing the chassis, millions on developing the ECU and millions on developing the engine via R&D programs across many Mitsubishi models in various domestic markets - yet they still can't work out how to make one chassis fit an auto and a manual gearbox?
                          How much did Spoon spend developing a couple of aluminium bushes to take the slop out of the chassis? If Spoon Sport are all about making fast cars how come they developed the CVT model instead of a manual model - how many race cars have you seen with a CVT fitted?

Comment

Can't go wrong with Spoon.

Spoot Fit (Jazz) (1.5ltr N/A 125hp/ lightened chassis 8-900kg i believe + whole heap of braces etc) - ran the same time as the stock NSX on the endurance race (Motegi track?) in Jap.

Mitsubishi don't spend millions in R&D for the Colt. Everything is reused through other available tecnnologies or outsource them to other companies to save cost. they might of created the chassis for ROAD use but everything else is built by everybody else. To make that money back, they also sell to the design to other companies like Smart. So there's still a lot of imperfection regardless of what car. Companies like Spoon gets into details of the mass production design flaws to further enhance the stability of the chassis.

You want a chassis that car companies spends millions into the chassis? - Ferrari, Lambos... hence why they're so expensive not because it's luxury, because they do spend heaps of time in R&D to make the car perfect and hand make the car.

Also ever wonder why S2000 also so expensive when they were first launched at $72k ? They'd spend a lot of time R&D and a hand built engine.

oops i think i'm very off topic...

Comment

I installed front and rear in nz. You will love it that all i can explan(bad english)

Comment

Working...
                              X