Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expected lifespan of front and rear discs and pads?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the average expected lifespan of the rotors and pads for the front and rear?

I've been told that I need to have my front pads changed at my 55,000km service. Already had the rear pads changed maybe at 45,000km from memory?

Debating whether to change the front rotors at the same time if they're not going to last that much longer.

from my experience the standard rotors are quite soft, and needed changing very soon after the pads (i.e. next service) maybe ask them how much is left before needing replaced and make judgement from there

it really depends on your driving style as to how they last

Comment

Originally posted by alba View Post
      from my experience the standard rotors are quite soft, and needed changing very soon after the pads (i.e. next service) maybe ask them how much is left before needing replaced and make judgement from there

it really depends on your driving style as to how they last
      Thanks, I'll probably change the rotors at the same time as I'd have to pay $60 to machine the rotors so I might as well just change them than have to pay for more labour to fit the new discs another 5k or so down the track.

Comment

Do you do alot of hard driving?

If you change your pads to a less aggressive pad like the bendix ct no dust ones.
        The rotors will last alot longer.

Comment

Get your finger and run it along the edge of the rotor surface. Does it have a lip? The bigger the lip the more worn they are. 2mm lip would warrant a change i think.

Comment

there is probably around 1 millimetre lip around the edge. Getting a price from rpw to ship a set of pads and discs to Victoria

Comment

GSL would be cheaper...

Comment

GSL Rallysport would be much cheaper...

Comment

I got a great deal from RPW, on slotted rotors and standardish pads , cant remember the name but no probs at all

LG1

Comment

I'm not a big braker, even when I drive hard...

At 100,000k my front rotors have a <1mm lip, are still straight and smooth and are in good shape...

Rears are same but with slightly smaller lip...

Pads were changed at about 70,000k fronts and 80,000k rears if my memory is correct...

I changed to Remsa pads which are OEM equivalent and great value and rate quite high amongst other quite costly after market pads...

Check this post from gsl rallysport, our forum sponsor and provider of all our braking needs...

Originally posted by gslrallysport View Post
                    In order of performance:

Front
                    RDA $35
                    EBC Black $69
                    Project Mu NS $179
                    Project Mu B Spec $229
                    QFM HPX $79
                    EBC Green $225
                    [Factory pads probably sit here]
                    Remsa $95
                    EBC Red $239
                    QFM A1RM $119
                    Project Mu HC+ $329

Rear
                    RDA $35
                    EBC Black $59
                    Project Mu NS $169
                    Project Mu B Spec $205
                    QFM HPX $79
                    EBC Green $125
                    [Factory pads probably sit here]
                    Remsa $85
                    QFM A1RM $119
                    Project Mu HC+ $299

Comment

the go WAYYYYY down

and have PMu rc09 =D

Comment

i have A1RM at the moment but they are munching rotors for my daily driving style

i will go HPX next time if i need pads and i am still using my car for work

Comment

My front rotors were shot at around 50000kms and were down to minimum thickness, pads were also on their last gasp. The rear rotors followed not long after, which is strange considering most guys wear out the rears first. Aftermarket brake pads and rotors were used after that, but they never really matched the "put you through the window" bite that the original soft rotors and Pagid pads had, especially when cold. I never really had the chance to put the A1Rm's through their paces as my colt was written off not long after fitting them.

Comment

Just thought I'd post an update - my car's in for its 70,000km service at the dealer and they reckon my rear brake pads are low Only been on for ~25,000kms QFM HPX pads. I didn't machine the rotor last time so perhaps that's caused it to chew through the pad.

Now I need to decide whether to replace the pads and rotors on the rear....

Comment

check yourself. My HPX on the rear of my colt have been on about 100,000kms

Comment

Working...
                              X