Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geebung71
    started a topic f speaker upgrade time

f speaker upgrade time

Hi all, been a long while since my last post. Colt still going strong just clocked 71000km.
    Time for an audio upgrade. replacing front speakers (currently polk) with Morel Tempo Ultras (110 W) and adding some sound dampening sheets for better midrange. Hopefully an improvement over the Polks which are a bet too tinny. Rest of system as follows; Sony XAV-W1 head unit, JBL rear speakers (100 W), Vifa Cardio 10" sub and Kenwood KAC-8403 (800Wmax). Getting job done on Friday and then I'll try and break it with some Skrillex :P

• odysseyesm
    replied
    Sounds like ur my man for advice! As part of the process of transferring the goodies from my white colt to my R&D one I'm exchanging all the stuff over. I used to think my white car a pretty good sound and the doors felt nice and solid. Turns out all 4 doors have been dynamatted on both inner and outer skins. The only void in the front doors is where the speaker mounts, everything is covered in dynamat. Also has 12g Rockford fosgate speaker wire throughout and some holes in the floor where the amp/sub used to sit. Anyway I was hoping for some advice on wiring up my new system. HU, speakers, amp and sub, how to run the power, tips, tricks and what to avoid. So far I've got an 8" Rockford fosgate sub for under the front passenger seat, 6.5" 3 ways for all doors, 14g OFC speaker wire and a box of dynamat. I'll be starting off by doing the doors/floor with the dynamat and building the sub box then HU and Amp - any other advice?

Leave a comment:

• Geebung71
    replied
    Took a while but heres an update. Speakers fitted and happy with sound, initially. Then as I listened more over the next week or so I started to hear some distracting sounds comming from both fronts (identified by using fade to isolate speakers and pumped up till noise started). Anyway I ended up removing both front trims and adding a strip of deadener (approx 250x100) to each door trim along the ridge directly fwd of and next to speaker hole (will post images). Then I had a good look at each speaker and noticed a very faint telltale mark on each which indicated that the speaker was making contact with the trim. the culprit had to be the thin moulded plastic hoop surrounding each speaker hole on the door trim. Solution, cut with stanley knife approximately 5-10 mm from each thin section on the door trims to provide clearance (pics to come), wrapped the door lock actuating cables in some bubble wrap incase they decided to rattle also and reassembled door trims onto car. Result is like chalk and cheese, no distracting sounds when played LOUD. Have managed to get some distortion but only when cranked up with something like METALLICAs BATTERY which is probably to be expected. Overall sound of system has improved with better midrange and generally more oomph from the front.

Leave a comment:

• wychhh
    replied
    The dampening sheets should help. What Polk speaker are you using? MM series?

Leave a comment:

• later
    replied
    Sounds like a good plan. Cut the inner trim if you are also doing the rear speakers as on full sound I noticed there was slight contact causing some distortion. Post up your results. Good luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X